O.T. Captcha and visually impaired

Has anyone tried listening to the sound output on a 'captcha' security check? I've just tried the Ryanair one after encountering a very fuzzy text. The sound was even more confusing than the visual test.

Is it easier for a more discerning listener (I assume Brian G to be more discerning)?

John

Reply to
JTM

No its crap. I have also moaned at my local MP as their site uses them. The reason of course is that the robotic spammers are getting more sophisticated. Theere is a great need for a replacement for these that does not make it so hard that ordinary people just do not bother to use the sites any more.

If you have an answer patent it fast and make a lot of dosh! My feeling on this is that with a system of return emails the majority of bots will be silenced, but of course this means a much more complicated local solution than an off the shelf capchar system.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I agree. Surely there must be a significant number of people with slightly impaired sight and hearing who find the Ryanair test very difficult?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

You can try to use a web browser extension which solves CAPTCHA automatically like for example Captcha Monster or Webvisum. As far as I know, you need an invitation from a current user to access Webvisum but Captcha Monster is a commercial add-on available for everyone.

Reply to
mateusz

The national ID card could have been one solution. You would have to have one before the site would do anything. The same goes for something like a microsoft account where you have to go through the effort to register and prove yourself once and then can use other sites without the hassle.

Reply to
dennis

I don't know about the sound but I'm getting pissed off by Captcha generally. The use on Ryanair is bloody pointless. I generally can't recognise what the words are supposed to be.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The text seems to have become much more indistinct recently with the fuzziness in particular being beyond all reason in some instances.

We seem to be getting to the point where OCR is better at reading than humans. We got to the point where particularly hard captchas were being forwarded to humans by the bots a while back.

Reply to
John Williamson

There's your problem.

Reply to
Huge

I generally have to refresh it 3 or 4 times to get a readable one.

Reply to
Huge

There is an easy version on Ryanair, but it's £25 per person to use it :-)

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, the number of times I had to refresh a visual captcha I wondered if the audio one might be easier, I couldn't make out *anything* it was saying, it sounded like two robots speaking over the top of each other in foreign languages.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Webvism is teetering on the brink and only works with Firefox. The other is for dosh. I do not believe that in order to avoid these one should need to pay anyone. Its a good idea about accounts, but you have to have a card reader one supposes to get in. some of the banks have fallen foul of the equalities act recently by not making ehem speak for us.

There has to be an answer, and I cannot help but feel that sooner rather than later they will have to remove the capchars as many of my sighted friends simply cannot work them out any more either. No10 dining street has a particularly terrible one for audio just now. The sad part is that as these lie at the gates of nearly all sites there is now way to complain about them without actually getting one to work!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its not about hearing as such, its about the cocktail party effect. If you are not good at this, and many are not, you have zilch chance of it. I keep being told, but you must have good ears, you are blind. Claptrap, it is not a given that you have good ears if you lose your sight and even if you have you cannot be expected to hear slightly louder synthetic voices over other voices.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was waiting for that joke. Unfortunately these off the shelf systems tend to be all the same these days. Impossible. Maybe some kind person might like to find the head offices of the companies using them and their direct enail addresses so we can all moan at them After all if the contact us pages are all protected with these, then nobody can complain either!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No see my last reply. Its now become impossible to solve them unless you speak a dialect of space alien.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I now scroll down to the bottom of any online form and if there is one there, I go away. Their loss.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The gerbil in charge has turned to the demon drink..?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yeah, but if Ryanair do want people to fly with them, they are in effect stopping themselves getting business. I don't fly anywhere these days, but I do want to buy things, write to companies online and to fill in pettitions and surveys etc. Increasingly I cannot do that and end up buying stuff over the phone instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suggest you write to David Cameron as his no 10 web site has one like that on it as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff