Not so smart phone user

There is something about this story that does not quite add up...

It implies he only had the ELV end of the supply and the phone in the bath with him. But talk of burns etc suggests it was more likely to be the mains extension lead of the charger itself...

Reply to
John Rumm

Oops sorry, missed that Roger had already posted this...

Reply to
John Rumm

How long is an Apple phone charger lead?

If it's 1m, I can see him pulling on it and causing the extension to pull off the side of the bath into the water.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe it was a 3rd party charger without isolation from the mains on the LV side?

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone"

I read that as saying the charger was resting on his chest, which implies both the mains side and also the 5v side.

Reply to
Caecilius

Well have you looked inside a phone charger of the el cheapo kind. I had one go so one side of the mains was on the phone. there is little room, no fuse and often really bad construction. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Yes, agreed.

Although Big Clive has taken apart a few very dodgy USB chargers with a gnat's chuff of an isolation gap between the mains and LV side, inappropriate/incorrect class X/Y caps, and transformers with totally inadequate insulation between the primary and secondary.

He has a test 240V light bulb on a probe which has lit up on some duff equipment on the low voltage side wrt mains neutral. That's... unnerving.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson