Not being allowed to use surge-protectors on cruise liner mains supplies

Anyone who goes on a cruise liner will (probably) know that if you take a multi-way mains block, to power multiple appliances from the single socket that they normally provide, it must not incorporate surge protection. I reckon Ikea in Southampton (almost opposite the cruise terminals) must do a lot of business selling non-protected blocks. :-)
But why is this? What is it about the cruise electrical system (presumably just a normal diesel-driven alternator with transformers) that means that it is "unsafe" to use surge protection? Why is it any more of a problem than with the electrics in a house? Surge protectors work by shorting out spikes through a resistor, so is the cruise alternator generating so many spikes than a significant amount of energy will be dissipated in each surge protector?

I've been on a few cruses but never encountered this restriction. Is it something in the booking terms, or a notice when you get on board. My experience is luggage is not routinely searched, that would be a truly mammoth task.
Perhaps your cruise line had an issue with MOVs in a power bar catching fire and take the stance once bitten, twice shy.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
It does seem a little odd, I have to say. Still I'd be glad that they even allowed much to be plugged in. Back in the older days the ship supply was not anything like the mains so I guess its progress. Brian
--
----- --

Ditto on not having had any warning regarding surge protection.

It maybe that they think they don’t need to. On the boats we’ve been on nearly all the electrics shut down when you remove your keycard from the wall holder. Took us a day or two to realise why some things weren’t charging when we left the cabin!
Easily overcome with a bit of card shoved in the holder though.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Until they install one of the Smarter systems when a card doesn't "do the trick"
tim

If you’re a couple you’ll have two cabin keycards so you could always use one of those.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Oh
I never thought of that
Doh!
tim
On 12/01/2019 14:05, tim... wrote:

Then just use the Other Half's card.

One doesn't have "an other half's card"
tim
On 12/01/2019 19:51, tim... wrote:

This One does.

A day trip on a Murray River Paddle steamer doesn’t equip you with that knowledge.

All done to get away from your boring company by any chance. No wonder you spend your life on Usenet in groups where you are a foreigner.
Please insert predictable prewritten std attempt to insult below this line.
GH

That’s not a cruise, fuckwit.
<reams of your even sillier shit flushed where it belongs>
On 12/01/2019 13:46, Tim+ wrote:

Is the right answer!

On 11/01/2019 16:24, NY wrote:

Probably too many surges and the MOVs when they eventually fail catch fire in poorly designed extension blocks!
https://zerosurge.com/truth-about-movs/
The MOV may only be rated for 100 surges.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Don’t know if it is relevant to the surge protector situation but on some of the cruise ships I did a small amount of fit out work on the 220volt supply was 110-0 -110 so there is no neutral pin , I found that the painful way when relying on a thermostat turned to off on a refrigeration device while I replaced a fan motor though in that case it was hard wired. Most of them are 60Hz as well though that doesn’t cause the problems it once did,I suppose the odd person may still take a favourite hair dryer and wonder why it runs fast .
* yes I should have got it disconnected but although the equipment was my firms and I was expected to repair it disconnecting it from the connection box was down to a member of the ship electrical department and they had gone ashore for the day on the turnaround.
GH
On Friday, 11 January 2019 16:24:51 UTC, NY wrote:

Fire is a much bigger risk onboard a ship. Surge protectors do nothing but cause the occasional fire.
NT
On Friday, 11 January 2019 22:47:24 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have long had the view they are just snake oil.
harry wrote :

They will cope with some very minor surges, but one larger one and they are toast. Except you get no indication that they are no longer able to function. Some indeed, do catch fire when they fail.
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 11:24:51 AM UTC-5, NY wrote:

it

Read specification numbers on a protector. How many joules does it 'block' or 'absorb'? Hundreds? Thousand? That is near zero. A surge that tiny i s routinely converted by electronic appliances into rock stable, low DC vol tages to safely power semiconductors. So that power strip protector does n othing useful. And can fail catastrophically on a transient that will not damage anything else.
A thermal fuse blows to only disconnect grossly undersized protector parts. It leaves appliance connected. Disconnects to avert a protector fire. S ometimes that fuse does not trip fast enough. Then this happens: https://i .redd.it/e34962ah06q11.jpg
That fire, that happens in homes, is acceptable. That fire is completely u nacceptable aboard ship. That fire is made obvious by specification number s. How many joules will that five cent protector part absorb? A surge too tiny to damage electronics can destroy that protector. And in rare cases, cause a fire.
APC recently admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediatel y due to hundreds of house fires. This protector is not even on that recall list: http://imgur.com/hwCWHMW
Near zero joules and fire is why some cruise ships may confiscate a power s trip protector. And others will constantly disconnect them.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bob, did you turn that .sig off?