No earth in lighting circuit?

I have seen hundreds of such setups. The risks of a shock do not dramatically increase just because there is no earth. You need a fault and no earth to increase the risk of a shock.

Reply to
ARW

Like your brain, then.

Reply to
Bob Martin

So, if I were to sleeve the live with some shrink wrap & tie the L & N together, would that be safe?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Nope because with the best will in the world you are (respectfully) not competent to assess and re-design electrical equipment to make a safe conversion from class 1 to class 2.

You do not know what other works may be required on it to make a safe conversion and I don't think a series of what-ifs here will change that.

Reply to
fred

I've not seen the item, so its hard to be definitive. Often yes, but there are a couple of potential areas that might need more work: Metal lampholders often have nothing but a few mm of air between live terminal screws and case - if this is the case it doesnt meet Class 2 requirements. L&N should both be double insulated from the case. Modern kit often uses double inuslated flex, but if not it will generally need sleeving or replacing The point of tying L&N together is to prevent case contact if one breaks away - just check it will do this. A choc block connector in a metal housing isnt double insulated, so would need sleeving or similar.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's why we ask each other stuff before diying. This case is simple and orders of magnitude lower risk than most diy we do. You can fear up if you want though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My fathers house was built in 1956 and had four wall lights in the living room with nice 'shell' glasses. Step mother decided (that the house was now hers) and to junk them in favour of some horrendous metal carriage lights. Sparky obviously said, 'no earth, so I must fit an rcd'

- whole house. As they got older, the only bulbs came from tesco or M&S where they do all their shopping (convenient parking).

ABout 2 years ago a cheap tesco bulb went pop and plunged whole house into darkness. Step mother tried to change bulb from a 2-step ladder using a torch - couldn't manage. Much swearing and arguing, so father got up (aged 89 and with weak legs). Next thing he was on the floor with leg bent at an awkward angle. By the time neighbour had been summoned the damage was done, and he could hardly walk. Eventually doctor agreed hip replacement was needed, which was done after only a short wait (In South Wales too), and now he can get about again.

Moral of the tale. Sometimes the risk of electocution is far less than the certainty of a fall if the house is plunged into darkness. The old rewirable fuses would not have blown when a cheap bulb went pop. And £10K was spent on a hip replacement that would never have been needed.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes but surely that hip replacement has bettered his mobility if nothing else?..

A few people I know who have had them done have much better mobility!...

Reply to
tony sayer