New upvc porch - fittings and ideas

We're wanting to replace our rotting wooden porch/conservatory with upvc and the plastic roof with glass and have a couple of quotes.
There are two items that the installers are not interested in covering and I don't mind doing myself if there are some good ideas forthcoming.
1) The outside corner of the porch is a handy point for a clothes line hook as the porch fits on an inside corner with a garage to its left hand side. What are the best ways to attach a line to upvc?
2) The porch is about 3m wide x 1.3m deep. Probably the main reason that the wooden porch has rotted is that no-one thought to deal with the water run-off from the roof. It only needs to be diverted to the left onto the garage roof which in turn is designed for water to run into its gutters. Neat ideas for this bearing in mind I'm aware that we're not going to have the same rotting issue with pvc.
--
AnthonyL

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 09:36:44 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

They won't fit your washing line because they know it'll bust a hole in the pvc
NT
AnthonyL was thinking very hard :

UPVC is too weak to accept screws supporting any weight. However you might be able to find a way to bolt right through the structure.

What I was planning for a "strong" fence post was to fit a lenght of timber inside the square UPVC section. I'd probably have to plane it to size, though. Has anyone tried this?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 10:47:04 UTC, charles wrote:

I expect someone has at some point, and ended up with a trapezoidal porch.
Do you need a washing line, or could you put a rotary airer in the gap?
Owain
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 03:22:21 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Charles isn't the OP, he's jumped in.
A rotary airer is an option but a bit more of a faff in terms of "putting it away" etc. I'll offer the suggestion to SWIMBO and apportion blame/credit as appropriate depending on the reaction.
--
AnthonyL

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:25:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:

You can get covers http://amzn.to/2Dn3RjL Saves the faff putting it away...
--

Chris

Then we're left with a pole sticking up in a nice open area. SWMBO says no.
--
AnthonyL

Trade her in on a more sensible SWMBO.
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 05:02:01 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Don't you think I've tried? Perhaps I keep looking at the wrong attributes.
--
AnthonyL

Yep, you must have done.
Same with dogs, most are so stupid they go by appearance, not the mentality. It’s the mentality you live with all the time.

It would go rotten. Things like uPVC porches and bay windows normally have square section corners which are lined with square section aluminium or steel to provide strength for supporting the roof. A suitable pilot hole followed by a self-tapping screw (corrosion resistant) would probably work.
--
Andrew Gabriel

why would it rot any quicker than the bare wooden post I'd be replacing. That's gone because it's been hit (and broken) by a backing delivery van.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Inside a plastic section, it will soak up condensation, with no opportuinity to dry out.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:43:36 +0000 (GMT)

You'd have to weld the ends shut, and seal any fixing holes. Anyway what's the point? Just use pressure treated timber, or galvanised steel if it really needs some strength.

The point?
Our present small fence (to stop people driving into the ditch in front of the property) is made with pressure treated uprights. Unfortunately, they are not always visible (under trees) to delivery drivers, who have managed to hit them, or at least the horizontal timbers they support. This has ressulted in the main uprights breaking - they neeed to be replaced. I wanted to make the uprights a bit more visible - I can't really paint pressure teated timber.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 16:37:24 +0000 (GMT)

You might do better just to attach some conspicuity aid such as the standard yellow and black reflective film on an aluminium base, with which the drivers will be well acquainted. Or as I already wrote - galvanised steel box section. :-)
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:35:15 GMT, Harry Bloomfield

I might be wrong but I thought at least some UPVC structures had metal cores within the main elements. It might be worth the OP just testing the particular beam or upright he wants to screw into, using a cable detector.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg presented the following explanation :

Certainly it will, but the depth below the upvc surface might prove to be an issue for drilling a tapping.

You also need to be careful not to distort the frame. A prime reason for doors and windows not closing properly. There can be quite a high load on a washing line.
--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?