New upvc porch - fittings and ideas

We're wanting to replace our rotting wooden porch/conservatory with upvc and the plastic roof with glass and have a couple of quotes.

There are two items that the installers are not interested in covering and I don't mind doing myself if there are some good ideas forthcoming.

1) The outside corner of the porch is a handy point for a clothes line hook as the porch fits on an inside corner with a garage to its left hand side. What are the best ways to attach a line to upvc?

2) The porch is about 3m wide x 1.3m deep. Probably the main reason that the wooden porch has rotted is that no-one thought to deal with the water run-off from the roof. It only needs to be diverted to the left onto the garage roof which in turn is designed for water to run into its gutters. Neat ideas for this bearing in mind I'm aware that we're not going to have the same rotting issue with pvc.

|Side of Garage |A Washing line from A - A | |-------------A | Porch | |__________ |__________House____________

Reply to
AnthonyL

They won't fit your washing line because they know it'll bust a hole in the pvc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

AnthonyL was thinking very hard :

UPVC is too weak to accept screws supporting any weight. However you might be able to find a way to bolt right through the structure.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What I was planning for a "strong" fence post was to fit a lenght of timber inside the square UPVC section. I'd probably have to plane it to size, though. Has anyone tried this?

Reply to
charles

I might be wrong but I thought at least some UPVC structures had metal cores within the main elements. It might be worth the OP just testing the particular beam or upright he wants to screw into, using a cable detector.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg presented the following explanation :

Certainly it will, but the depth below the upvc surface might prove to be an issue for drilling a tapping.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I expect someone has at some point, and ended up with a trapezoidal porch.

Do you need a washing line, or could you put a rotary airer in the gap?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Charles isn't the OP, he's jumped in.

A rotary airer is an option but a bit more of a faff in terms of "putting it away" etc. I'll offer the suggestion to SWIMBO and apportion blame/credit as appropriate depending on the reaction.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It would go rotten. Things like uPVC porches and bay windows normally have square section corners which are lined with square section aluminium or steel to provide strength for supporting the roof. A suitable pilot hole followed by a self-tapping screw (corrosion resistant) would probably work.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not a good idea. The weight on the line creates a far bigger tension than the actual weight and will probably damage the PVC.

Reply to
dennis

You can get covers

Saves the faff putting it away...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You also need to be careful not to distort the frame. A prime reason for doors and windows not closing properly. There can be quite a high load on a washing line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

why would it rot any quicker than the bare wooden post I'd be replacing. That's gone because it's been hit (and broken) by a backing delivery van.

Reply to
charles

Then we're left with a pole sticking up in a nice open area. SWMBO says no.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Lots of responses on Item 1 and nothing on the water run-off - surely someone's got a brainwave.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Inside a plastic section, it will soak up condensation, with no opportuinity to dry out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Judging by what our reasonably reputable roofers did (with slate roof) just run a short downpipe from the end of the conservatory gutter as a spout either into the garage gutter or to intersect the garage roof at less than 90 degrees a couple of feet above the gutter. It may require a 135deg bend to do this.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's not the downpipe that is my concern as the porch roof is higher than the garage roof - I just want an unobtrusive way of getting from the nice glass roof to the top of the the adjacent garage roof and all guttering seems to be an overkill size of 3".

Reply to
AnthonyL

Smaller guttering for sheds (?2") and rectangular or trapezoidal white guttering for conservatories is freely available. From a builders' merchant for instance, or on Ebay.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You'd have to weld the ends shut, and seal any fixing holes. Anyway what's the point? Just use pressure treated timber, or galvanised steel if it really needs some strength.

Reply to
Rob Morley