New boiler flue location

Hi

I need to get a new boiler installed. I will be getting a condensing combi boiler and I want to relocate it to the cellar. The problem I have is getting the flue out. The best place would mean the flue exiting the cellar less than 300mm from the ground which is, apparently, against the regs. Is it possible\allowed to have the flue exit the house close to the ground but then have a 90 degree elbow to take the flue and air intake up the wall to an acceptable height - perhaps even to the eaves?

I have looked at the Vaillant ecoTec boiler flue options and they appear to have these elbow fittings and extension tubes.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
mike.varley1

The reason you can't have it exiting so low is because of the possibility of blockage (snow drifts, stuff falling across it etc) - I can't see any problem with using the elbows etc to get the desired height, it's what the pieces are made for!

Reply to
Phil L

just ensure that cellar is not airtight as the burner has to breathe air in.

Reply to
noelogara

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

I think the Vaillant ecoTechs are all balanced flue - though I may be wrong.

Reply to
Guy King

I doubt that you can get any modern condensing boilers that are not also room sealed (i.e. balanced flue).

Reply to
John Rumm

No problem. In fact, it is often only possible with a condensing boiler, as the flue operates at such a low temperature.

You may have trouble getting rid of the condensate in a cellar installation. Consider a condensate pump, such as a Sanicondens, to pump it away to the drain. Do not accept the condensate just dripping onto the ground, like most cowboy installers would have you believe is acceptable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi

Thanks Christian

I have a drain in the cellar so that sholdn't be too much of a problem.

Mike

Christian McArdle wrote:

Reply to
mike.varley1

Hi

thank you all for your help.

Cheers

Mike

John Rumm wrote:

Reply to
mike.varley1

It's the location of the flue "terminal" that's governed, not the tubes leading to it, as I read the regs. I also have a boiler in the cellar, which exits via a 45 degree bend and through the external wall before turning vertical again - it has an extension which takes it to about 6' off the ground which although perhaps not strictly necessary does at least mean it is well out of the way. I would imagine 45 degree bends are better for gas flow, and it gets around the problem of the cellar ceiling being too near ground level to go straight out.

You may well find that the flue piping is in fact fairly standard and you are not constrained to what a particular manufacturer sells. A joint clamp on the inner pipe of my flue failed and I was informed it was a "standard 2" pipe", or something. Naturally, you cannot just buy a standard 2" pipe clamp, so I fabricated one of my own.

Reply to
lairdy