Never mind grand designs, try some real DIY nostalgia

Recently digitised:

John Rumm

held a number of egg races. I think they gave up because my father and me always won. We made a racer with wheels spun from very thin aluminium, with lightening holes punched in them and Dycem tyres, mounted on a tubular steel space frame chassis, made from hypodermic needle tube. IIRC the whole thing weighed about 30 grams.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

this as a kid. I'm sure I remember one where they built a machine for shuffling and dealing cards, though, and sadly that one doesn't seem to be there.

Really glad that they've put this up - and that there aren't any geographic restrictions on it, of course :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yup, we used to do one a week at school usually. First prise was £1 if you won your category! Used to mean I could earn at least an extra quid a week, although I sometimes had to spend more than that to do it!

I can see how that may have dispirited the competition a little ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Highly recommended, especially Catapult.

(But then I am in it, on the CEGB team. I liked Michael French's comments, but I thought Heinz Wolf had some of the engineering wrong).......

Reply to
newshound

What do you mean "Morning"? I had things to do this weekend too!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

:-) I'm pacing myself - other mornings may be wasted, too ;)

Having watched a couple (hovercraft and steam engine) I was surprised that the teams weren't given more space to work in, more power tools, more time and more materials (it seemed a bit bodgy, having to hand-drill things, or nailing stuff together almost randomly, or taping bits together - I got the impression that it wasn't just down to lack of experience, but that they weren't really provided with enough to do any better)

I suppose that's TV for you - but it would have been nice to see that 3- cylinder engine up and running :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

You mean why wasn't it scrapheap challenge? :-)

Was there less of a power tools culture back then?

Reply to
Clive George

In message , newshound writes

But then, he was a nutritionist, not an engineer

Reply to
geoff

Just the B&D D500 and ingenuity and hurt fingers.

Reply to
Ericp

I thought the nutritionist was the nutter with the windmill arms (whose name I can't rmember) who was the Government's scientific adviser back in Harold Wilson's day?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Magnus Pyke. Had dinner with him once! .-)

Much taller than I expected - six feet or so.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, there was a card dealing one - ISTR that it rotated around and had a finger with a rubber thimble on at each position, so as to slide a card out ... I could be mistaken though, as it was a long time ago!

SteveW

Steve Walker

Magnus Pike

Reply to
John Rumm

I think he was chosen for the look and the accent.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

He certainly had them alright; but ISTR that his area was bioengineering. Prosthetics, perhaps?

Reply to
newshound

Way before then; his scientific work was during WW2. From the 60's onwards he was a media pundit.

Reply to
newshound

Ah yes, Magnus Pike (?), but a quick wiki reveals ...

"He spent much of his early career in bioengineering"

so, same area

"I was working in my lab late one night ..."

(10 points for the first correct answer)

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Scary Squashed Potatoes (IYSWIM, and not giving too much away)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ