Never mind crisps, what about custard

Bob Eager wrote on 13/12/2021 :

Neither of you mentioned the sharp taste having declined, only that the consistensy has changed. I wouldn't be unhappy about the struggle to spread it, if the taste was up to the old standard.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I went through a phase of carnation milk instead some years ago, no, I think the cornstarch vs milk is the issue here. The pots are the same, its the contents that are not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No if that were true, I've had it for nearly 70 years then. It may be that I have that but its always been an issue, Back in my childhood I used to complain that things smelled nice but tasted rubbish, and it was said I'd grow out of it, never happened. Since then there has been work done on the genetic problems associated with my sight loss, and it appears that some people with a certain gene error who have RP also can have effects in taste and sometimes other parts of the body as well, depending on the way the proteins are used. However since I know what to me Custard should taste like and also know nothing else I'm eating has changed its taste, then any infection is hardly likely. I remember way back when I was 21, having a virus that changed taste, but it also made smell different too, and that is not like this custard. If it was lots of things then I'd have a test, but I know my body pretty well after all these years, a fact many doctors seem to find hard to believe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't like Brandy butter nor full cream, but there you go each to their own. I also have some apple crumble in the freezer, I'm loathe to try it with this custard. I do wish they would leave stuff alone so it always tastes the same. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) pretended :

I never had an apple crumble to match what they fed us at school. Usually the modern crumbles are just soggy, rather than crisp and crumbly on top.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Haven't noticed that, ut then I do tend to use rather a lot of it on each slice.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When the manufacturers of any product slap "new or improved" on the label it somewhat makes a mockery of their previous advertising where they once claimed it was the best never to be beaten :) Improved usually just means an improved profit margin for the manufacturer.

Does anyone think that Mr Kipling makes exceedingly good cakes? Aren't they just raw sugar in a box and despite what they are called all taste the same?

Reply to
alan_m

When they say "Original recipe" at the same time it's very confusing

Reply to
charles

The plastic custard pots are rubbish. I find the Ambrosia tinned ones or the supermarket "tetrapak" ones (which are foil lined) fine. Fattening, though, because it is never worth saving any and there are only two of us.

Reply to
newshound

Coca Cola - "original" since 1886. Haven't they removed certain ingredients since then.

Reply to
alan_m

Didn't the original coca cola contain a controlled substance?

*googles*

SH

I buy the bog standard custard in tetrapak cartons, have to admit I prefer it (hot or cold) compared to the luxury versions ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They do sell "light" versions ... not that I buy those.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Bob Eager snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx writes

Ah! Yes, I have had a couple of tubs from Costco, although not for a while, and agree the contents seems to stay runny for longer, compared to the usual glass jars. No idea why.

Reply to
Graeme

As people age their sense of taste changes. I can't eat any cheese that is not extra mature. The 'mild' and standard stuff simply has no longer has any taste (for me) even though 40+ years ago I never bought extra mature cheese because it was 'too strong'

The nicest cheese available at the moment in Sainsburys is the cave aged stuff which I believe comes from Dorset, though the forum linked thinks it is from Wookey. It has the code UK DR001 on the label.

https://thefarm> I don't like Brandy butter nor full cream, but there you go each to their

Reply to
Andrew

Yanks living near the border with Mexico cross over to there to bulk buy their coca-cola because the Mexican stuff is still made with sugar, while the North American factories use corn syrup.

Reply to
Andrew

They also tried to market UK tap water in a bottle.Their bottling plant was close to Peckham :)

alan_m

Without going through the cheese threads up there, I think it might be a bit of both. There was an edition of "The Kitchen Cabinet" with Jay Rayner on BBC Radio 4 from Wookey Hole recently[1]

and I belive the cheese is aged in Wookey Hole on behalf of cheesemakers from all over the country.

Nick [1]Whoops! Just looked it up. For "recently" read January 2019

Reply to
Nick Odell

A few years ago I lost the ability to smell sour milk, which is annoying as I can't tell until it goes solid or breaks into globules in tea or coffee. I can *taste* it's sour, but not smell it. I have to check the "use by" dates carefully.

I also can't tell the difference between different savoury rices, like basmati or Patna.

Otherwise my sense of smell (and taste) is as good (or bad) as it always was.

Reply to
Max Demian