Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT]

RISC 32-bit processors come in two versions. The latest makes different use of the last 6 bits than earlier versions. The earlier versions are now referred to as 26-bit (to distinguish them from the new architecture) even though they are 32-bit processors. And Acorn *started* the party twenty years ago with the first 32-bit RISC desktop machines. Acorn User magazine issue 61 page 11ff gives all the details. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

If your industry is sitting in an office playing PC games then you're probably right. If your industry is running critical software for coastguards, broadcasting, and much more then you'd be told not to make such a stupid comment.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yes it's basically Basilisk II I got it free on a Website some years back in a custom distribution pack Called "Mac Emulator Pack" and it allows one to emulate a number of different Mac OS versions and hardware combinations. Saying that having used a number of old Macs in the past, a P4 processor and

256mbs of Ram is a considerable improvement :) But it works great, I've even managed to install and run a few Mac programs I had on a CD, great fun it's also useful for opening Mac files. Of course die hard Mac buffs would probably see running the Mac OS in Windows as sacrilege, but remarkably it runs a lot faster than Windows even in Windows, which is amazing :)
Reply to
Amanda Angelika

BSD is still "live" on the PDPD-11.

Or are you just ignorant?

Reply to
August West

Yes it does: it's an operating system for MIPS processors.

You *are* ignorant.

Reply to
August West

20 years ago the first RISC workstation was the Whitechapel, containing a MIPS R2000 proccesor.

Again, your ignorrance shows.

Reply to
August West

Well that's OK I'm an artist, don't want to be accused of sanity, that wouldn't be a good career move :)

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

Seems to be the case among my friends and work mates.

Obviously. This is still the original '97 keyboard. The original HD still works although it's long since been upgraded. Same with the mouse - but I now use a cordless optical. Fan and battery are also original.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:17:27 GMT "Amanda Angelika" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

Have you still got the archive file for this Mac Emulator Pack?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Yes I think I've still got it somewhere. Saying that it was a while ago and I was on dial-up then and it came in about 10 parts if I remember rightly which had to be put back together. but I usually burn everything I download to CD so I should still have it all somewhere. Of course finding it is thing :)

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

This PC keyboard (in constant daily use) was purchased in August 1992. Never a problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Did they ever get round to paying IBM the money they owed them?

THe IBM RT/PC predated the Acorn RISC PCs by a year, so the magazine doth spout bollocks. I was using a RISC computer in 1974 BTW, long before Acorn thought of stealing the idea.

Have you worked out why a 6502 is considered by many to be a RISC chip yet?

And do you know why the ARM isn't a RISC chip?

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:37:20 GMT "Amanda Angelika" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

You wouldn't be adverse to emailing me a copy? I'd be grateful...

Reply to
Alex Buell

On 27 Apr 2006 00:37:28 GMT "Bob Eager" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

I keep buying a new keyboard once a year. My laptop needs its keyboard replacing soon and that's been in use for four years now.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Good for you. Now, enough with the bloody smileys already.

Reply to
JAF

The message from "Amanda Angelika" contains these words:

You keep closing brackets that you haven't opened.

Reply to
Guy King

"Desktop" as in computer designed for retail (home) sales. How much was a completeWhitechapel system? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

The IBM was a completely different and parallel development that was abandoned.

The project was never completed to retail sale. You haven't read the article and so you are again lying. You were not using a desktop (home) RISC computer before the Acorn. Their RISC development was based on an academic paper just like the IBM project but neither project was stolen and your charge is both a lie and malicious.

As you use Humpty Dumpty words that change in meaning at your whim I'm not going to even try to guess your current fantasy.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Steve Firth wrote: [...]

Well, it's fairly close, and the most RISC-like of the late-70s/early-80s 8 bit processors, but the non-orthogonal instruction set stops me considering it as fully RISC.

It would be fun to see what would have happened to the 6502 if it had the same sort of development effort put behind it as the 8086 did. I'm aware of the 65816, but did the series ever evolve further?

Reply to
Peter Corlett

Don't hit it so hard!

Reply to