Nanny is awake again

What? I like my baths to be as ht as I can stand them. I'd say 48C is well within limirs.

AND if the water isn't hot enough, you have to waste a shit load of it running it till it is, and if you happen to have a cast iron bath, it never will be, either.

Just how many scalding incidenets are there from sanitary appliances?

FAR less than from cookers or kettles.

The next thing will be kettles that trip at 48C and never make a decent cup of coffee...

That your choice. It ain't mine. water comes out of my taps at a sterile

65C plus. I have learnt NOT to get scalded by hot water.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do straw men normally have baths, I thought most just showered with rain water?...

Reply to
Jerry

I very much suspect so, I also suspect that you have not bothered to follow the various questions and debates that have occoured in Parliament on this issue - it has been the evidence from A&E departments (in the form of admittance records IIRC) etc. that has brought the issue to the fore.

More like people not wanting to see more kids and confused elderly being admitted to hospital with severe - didn't Princess Margaret suffer such an injury about 18 months before she died?

Reply to
Jerry

No idea! But my wife certainly has baths - and is often in the tub for a long soak, requiring a top up!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well I have, the significant problem is amongst vulnerable people (mostly institutionalised elderly) only.

&UPU2

Kids don't come into it. They'd leap out of a scalding bath.

Portable baby baths used to be filled by kettles when we had babies.

She did indeed. AIUI she had a habit which made her vulnerable.

In the same vein I also personally know of a bloke who came back from the pub with the munchies, put the chip pan on and fell asleep in his chair. He was killed when the whole house caught fire

Does this mean all chip pans must be built, certified, stamped and inspected annually to be safe used by pissants?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Ah. That would be 'common sense' shortly to be banned under the 'European Anti Common Sense Directive 2009'.

Shame upon you for thinking for yourself - also shortly subject to a ban - if its not banned already.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

...and those who are trying to carry on in their own home because of Thatcheright/NU-Labour policies...

Yep, only trouble is, they would by then have been scalded - Duh...

Yes, and no doubt many babies were scalded, that is no reason to carry on allowing it to happen!

Your point is what, and how many 15 - 40 plus also have 'habits' that make them vulnerable to this sort of accident?...

But it might mean banning 'hob-heated' chip pans, it would not stop people making chip, using thermostatically controlled pans that can't (in normal circumstances) over heat.

Reply to
Jerry

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message news:FOIpk.43783$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...

Nice if you are old enough and well enough to have some....

Nice if you are old enough and well enough to do so....

Reply to
Jerry

Surreal! I thought the plumbing Corgi blokes had been going way before Part P (Prescott) was even a glimmer! ie Plumbing paved the Red way for electrics. The plot basically is to kill off Me Single Bloke and make way for The Thatcher Privatized Certified Bozo Inc.

Reply to
jake

I've got a TMV on my hot water supply at 50C and there's no such problem. It was a problem beforehand, when sometines it came out of the taps near 80C despite the tank thermostat (at the bottom of the tank) being set at 60C.

Reply to
<me9

Mostly from non domestic premises, hostels, and care homes. AIUI they already have to have TMVs as a result.

Reply to
<me9

Well if you've read my other posts you would have realised we have had to cope with our share of those (3 of our parents died of chronic cancers / dementias) looking after them was catastrophic for our (next younger) generation of the family, I was running a one-man business with customers from Devon to Aberdeen and my income was indeed "decimated".

But sure as hell I wouldn't have wanted any of them put away in Friern Barnet or any like institution, and every city had at least one. :-((

YMMV

Duh ... So they've first degree burns to half a foot. They'll live & learn. If they don't they'll do it again "Da Capo".

The serious risk is for old or otherwise vulnerable folks with poor circulation and little sensation in their extremities dumping themselves in a bath of scalding hot water and then not being able to get out.

As regards normal kids I've seen nothing to indicate there is any risk whatsoever of serious injury.

But it still goes on that way.You have brought up babies I take it ?

Firstly it was you that raised Princess Margaret issue, secondly her age plus her lifestyle put her at risk far in excess of normal (if you are vainly hoping that we use her as an example).

Inspection once, twice, or thrice per year, and what would be the penalty be for having a non-compliant / un-calibrated chip pan ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Sorry & allthat but we are.

Contrary to Nu-Labour / Prescotesque doctrine ...

The human race has survived this far without it.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I have no bath, I have thermostatic shower, I have a combi boiler with the hotwater set at 60C wgich is fine for us, where does that leave me ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Guess what? You're wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bacteria must love you. Hope you dont have a shower.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Many years ago my mother (sober) left a chip pan unattended, totalling the kitchen and smoke damaging the rest of the house. Ask any insurance company or emergency service what they think of chip pans.

I have not followed the whole thread but why not try and make things safer. We accept earths and RCDs on electrical circuits, a stenching agent is put in natural gas etc. etc.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Yeah a 43C shower is only just warm. I always have to wind the temp on hotel showers past the 43C "safety" setting to get a decent temp shower.

Bacteria though, I guess for hand washing up? As 43C is way to cool for that. The water in the pipe work is mains water and the hot side will have been heated to what ever the combi is set to. So I see no real difference between this water in the pipe work and any other. It'll probably be run down the drain anyway as some one wants the tepid 43C water...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Huge

The things do not detract from the functionality of these devices. Well RCDs..lets not go there..

The point is I need water at > 60C to have baths the way I want to have baths. If other people want to have TMV's that is up to them.

If hospitals and care homes with a duty of catre, need to have them, thats up to them.

What I object to is having to have needlessly expensive taps that don't do what I want, just because some bureaucrat insists.

Another way of making homes less affordable..

Oh, and ANOTHER CFL unit has died in the hot weather..that fitting has now eaten 3 lamps in 2 years.

Its getting some standard bulbs next time it goes: they last longer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher