Mystery cables

A few years ago I had some fairly extensive wiring work done on my bungalow which included the installation of an ethernet network with wall sockets throughout. The cables were all routed into a small spare room, labelled, and terminated with RJ45 plugs to await my chance to arrange a proper equipment hub area.

Today, in the section of the loft immediately behind the future hub I found two trailing data cables, with plugs but unlabelled.

The thing is, I have no idea where they come from. All the wall sockets are accounted for and twinned to known cables in the room. And short of ripping up floors and gouging out walls I can't see any practical way to trace their route.

It's a mystery and is probably going to remain one.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You could buy a cheapish cable tracer?

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of those tone-generating probe devices you mean? Do they work for well-buried cables? I suppose I'd have to sweep every part of every wall until I found a signal: a long job (unless luck kicked in early) but ultimately worth it if it gave me answers.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If you really want to find out get a cheap cable tracer, the sort that squirts an audio signal down the wire and has a detector that you wave around to trace the route. I have one and it's invaluable for working out where mystery wires go.

Reply to
Chris Green

+1

Even a cheap Chinese ones seem to work well.

Reply to
Fredxx

Mine will find a cable behind plasterboard. But I knew roughly where I was supposed to be looking.

ARW

It happens that Bert Coules formulated :

Yes!

Better than digging them out of the walls along their entire length.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Could be cables the installers ran somewhere by mistake after misreading spec.

Leaves me wondering though. You have N sockets and N cables terminated with labelled plugs. But do you have evidence (other than the installer's word/invoice) that all the plugs are connected to the relevant sockets?

Reply to
Robin

They must end somewhere. If you can't find the other end they will never be any use to you. If you find another end then a cheap cable tester (volts at one end, lights at the other) is the easiest way to confirm you have found them, also which is which, also whether they still work.

Or they might be ones that were found to be dead after installation, and just left with only one end accessible.

Reply to
newshound

Perhaps they run back to phone sockets to support ADSL or to support FTTP/FTTC/FFTH or for a cable modem?

Reply to
items4sale

First check that they are not connected to each other.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Since you already know where one end of the cable is you simply follow it from there with the tracer.

Reply to
Chris Green

Many thanks for all the replies.

I hadn't thought to see if the two cables were connected to each other - which I suppose would mean that they were probably two ends of the same cable - but I've now checked and they're not.

Assuming that they must go *somewhere* the logical conclusion is that there are two wall sockets that aren't immediately apparent, presumably because they're behind bookcases or filled shelves (of which there are a large number). Since the furniture went in after the wiring was completed, I imagine I must have decided at the time that access to those particular sockets could happily be sacrificed in the name of storage and then I went on to forget about them. But why the trailing ends in the loft aren't labelled I've no idea.

So - a lot of shifting or a cheap cable tracer. I'm grateful for the information about the latter.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That will be simple enough until they vanish under the flooring in the loft and head off to who knows where.

Reply to
Bert Coules

[...]

Worth taking the faceplates off the ones that are visible/reachable, to see if they've doubled-up cables to any of them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting thought, thanks, and a lot less effort than shifting books, CDs, DVDs and the like.

Is that doubling-up something that's likely to have happened? I could understand it if double-socket faceplates were planned but if they were, why not fit then?

Reply to
Bert Coules

If it was that simple you could get Brian's guide dog to do it.

Reply to
ARW

The datacomms versions are not that good at finding buried cable - but very good at identifying which cable out of a bunch of 50 you are looking for.

The ones designed for electrical circuit tracing have more range.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is there any resistance or capacitance between the cores in the "data cables"? Or between core and earth?

I made up my own tone detection system for finding the ends of a broken hearing loop round a hall. I was able to disconnect the cable from anything except my 3kHz 30Vrms generator, which I could hear in high impedance headphones connected to foil sheets held near the cable run.

Unfortunately when I went back the following month to connect the two ends with a length of wire, a new loop had been installed with a crummy amplifier and useless directional lapel mike,

Reply to
Dave W