My TV has died!

That's good, because I share some of Ron's doubts.

The lack of voltage across the fuse indicates it is doing its normal job

- transferring electricity from one end to the other - rather than its alternative job - preventing far too much power from flowing.

An old TV isn't worth the risk.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The only success I've had repairing my TVs is to check for dry joints and check for leaking/bulging capacitors in the mains power supply circuit. If any of the cylinder shaped components with +/- on them look like they've expanded then it may be worth trying to replace them. (I usually get my hig voltage caps from farnell and make the order up to £30 or so for free delivery)

As others have pointed out BE CAREFUL. Make sure any working caps have been discharged first.

Reply to
pjlusenet

I've had mains switches fail.

Reply to
John

Low power resistors subject to either high voltage or high current changing their values is not uncommon too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel