My Gas Fire's flue isnt central to the wall

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help in the UK. We were looking at replacing the fire with a more modern style, but we've come across a problem. We've been told that any new fire must be situated directly under the narrow flue. However the flue is not directly in the middle of the wall, and if we were to put the fire in it wouldnt look symmetrical and would be very odd looking. Why can't a vent pipe be connected in the same way as the old one (which is apparently legal), so that the new fire can sit in the middle, with the combustion gases being diverted to the flue. It seems strange that we can continue to use something that would otherwise be illegal if we tried to have it installed again? I don't want to have a gas fire that isnt in the middle of the wall, nor do I want touse a flueless gas fire. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
Nick

Any possibility of a picture? Usually The gas fire sits in the entirety of the builders opening. I need to see what you mean.

Reply to
Ed Sirett