Multimeter

Angle of dangle, what else ?

Reply to
geoff

The angle of the dangle is equal to the heat of the beat when the throb of the knob is constant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

I doubt I could be bothered since most DVMs (and my Fluke) measure current too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can it do ESR and "count" frequency?

Reply to
Graham.

No, I've got a teenager doing A level physics for that!

(Fluke fuses are over a tenner a pop)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Get several. Upgrade as you need new features. Start cheap. Finish with a Fluke (about 25-30 S/H on eBay)

Do try to get one with real sockets and a decent set of cables though. It's very useful to have both prods and croc clips easily available.

A while back I bought myself enough of megger to do PAT testing with. No idea why I bought this, as it cost 30-40 eBay quid and I already have a stupidly expensive Kewtech tester of everything (with cal papers too). However I now use this for pretty much all of my bench & DIY electrics. Does voltage and moderately low resistance too, which is 99% of everything I ever use a DVM for. As it also proves out scrap washing motors etc as vaguely safe or provably hazardous, it was money well spent.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on Aug 26, 2012:

now I believe.

Reply to
Mike Lane

I'd guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It does frequency, yes. I have a separate ESR meter. I'd admit to not having seen an ESR function on a DVM, although I suppose it is possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you can't get IPA, would any best bitter do?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Once another form at school (GCSE chemistry) were doing a practical where they were coating keys etc in copper by electrolysis. The instructions they followed were by a teacher without a clue how to measure current. Cue 28 fuses needing replacement! I think they were the ordinary glass type, but it still took a physics teacher and technician ages to change them.

Reply to
Part Timer

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on Aug 27, 2012:

The current replacement, Fluke 114 "Electricians¹s Multimeter" also does not have current ranges BTW.

Reply to
Mike Lane

In message , Mike Lane writes

Was that pun deliberate?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

En el artículo , David WE Roberts escribió:

There's two sorts of IPA. One is eminently quaffable, the other isn't.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Quite. Why would an electrician ever need to measure current? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh so it's not realy made for use as a door stop, but it works so well .....

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've had that, last year I replaced something like 25 20mm 250ma fuses in = our stock DMMs. =A311

problem is the lab sheet says mearure the current coming from the power= suply so a lot of students connect the DMM in ameter mode across the PSU t= erminals, Obviously they don't get a shock, until I hit them for doing it = ;-)

But my prefered cheap meter is....=A318

has an included thermocouple for measuring temerature.

Reply to
whisky-dave

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses? 2) Haven't these kids had a lesson before they get their mitts on the kit? Doesn't Teacher go through where you'd measure current as opposed to voltage?
Reply to
Tim Streater

Doesn't matter. Multimeter fuses are super-fast. One reason they're so expensive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't think that's true, certainly the ones I've used aren't super fast i= n fact They might be more expensive becuase of supply and demand. The fuses I've used to replace the ones in the 328 meter=20

about 20p each
the fluke branded ones are more expensive.

Reply to
whisky-dave