Moulded-on 13A plugs going bad

Reply to
Dave W

In message , at 12:43:44 on Sun, 29 Oct

2017, Dave W remarked:

Whether anyone is being silly or not, replacing the plug was both necessary and sufficient to stop the RCD tripping immediately power was applied to a switched-off washer.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Sounds like it was tracking internally, as suggested. Check the new plug doesn't get unduly hot when the machine is heating the water (maximum load), and chances are the socket is OK. Or test the socket with a fan heater, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He is not being silly.

Reply to
ARW

lol. There's always one. Or in our case here 3 or 4.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:11:40 +0000, ARW coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Hear's a matched pair that confronted me in a pharmacy a while back.

Graham.

Like Wickes?

I've had brass bits fall out of the back of their sockets!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That socket must be 50 years old!

Reply to
ARW

About right, same style as those fitted in my parents house, 1967/8 build, without the scorching they seem to fetch £9 each on eBay.

My house is a few years younger but I've replaced the last of the crabtree sockets now, the contacts were no longer very getting a good grip on plugs, particularly earth pins.

Probably should take my socket tester for a trip to my parents at christmas ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Given they are expecting a current draw for 2kW or more, I would have thought their plugs would be good quality, with well crimped wires.

The weakness would be the fuse and fuse holder. The fuse will also get warm by itself with that order of current flowing, without any further help.

What's the make?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I really, really wish you hadn't posted that evidence that one should never throw anything away :(

Reply to
Robin

That's the thing isn't it ... you keep things because there is a chance they could come in useful or they are just not broken / too 'nice' (and we all have different values of that, be it that old phone, old PDA or nice box of screws, lumps of wood or various fittings). Then some of them turn out to have some other value (unobtainable spares / replacements / collectable's) often just after you have finally thrown them away. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Adam's kicking himself at how many he's chucked in a skip ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at 18:15:47 on Sun, 29 Oct

2017, Fredxxx remarked:

The fuseholder isn't in any way "loose".

The washer was Indesit, the plug I don't know.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I'm curious if such things really sell or the adverts are just 'wishful thinking'- especially when you see words like vintage, rare, sort (sic) after, .....

As an aside, we find it amusing that a lot of 'vintage' stuff we see was considered modern in our lifetime. In particular, a style of crockery which seems to be 'sort (sic) after' was not only used for only every day in our family but there was a second set 'for best' in a different colour. I think both had been 'bought' with 'green shield stamps' or something similar.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Our "best" china which came from Granny actually came from coupons with Daz.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

or made the apprentices dismantle during their teabreaks for the brass

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , at 07:12:40 on Mon, 30 Oct

2017, Brian Reay remarked:

That's because we are getting old.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Thanks, I really needed reminding of that.

Reply to
Huge

I find it depressing that all the stuff I saved up long and hard for is now near worthless.

Or less than worthless and has to be paid for to be taken away. Life were simpler in t'olden days when one tin bath would see you out.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog