mould spores

Over tha past few weeks home made wheaten bread has gone mouldy in bread box (didn't bother me I just cut it off ), and this morning home mede tomato soup has grown an interesting beard on its surface while sitting in saucepan on stove top. It was grand yesterday when I had a bowl heated in microwave. Just wondering would mould spores be floating around?

Reply to
fred

Always.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Tomato soup is understandable but proper bread (not the crap we buy nowadays) should not go moldy. In the good old days, bread would go stale but you could still reuse it in soup, for example Florentine ribollita [1] which is simply veggie soup with stale bread. I'm sure there are British examples but I am not aware of any.

[1]
Ottavio Caruso

Unless you have a really very cold kitchen, you are taking quite a chance leaving the soup out like that.

Reply to
GB

Am 31/03/2023 um 13:52 schrieb Ottavio Caruso:

Stupid me: bread pudding.

Although I would think nowadays one would just use fresh bread.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

The mould spores were still floating around, but the bread went stale faster, so they didn't have time to get established.

for example Florentine

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Depends what you keep it in. Bread goes stale when it dries out, and mouldy when it stays damp. Put it in an airy bread bin and it'll go stale, in a plastic bag it'll go mouldy.

The same applies when houses go mouldy.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Bullshit. Proper bread always does go mouldy eventually.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Am 31/03/2023 um 18:13 schrieb Rod Speed:

Your mum goes mouldy.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

I think the short answer is of course they are, as are lots of things, even minute little creatures. I keep my bread in the fridge and a stock in the freezer. Its been very damp and so I'd expect them to be even more around now. There was a wonderful programme made by BBC 2 some years ago which basically as things rotted in a normal house. It was very interesting and just a little frightening. Some of the moulds are in fact perfectly edible but others not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Am 01/04/2023 um 12:12 schrieb Brian Gaff:

Sacrilege!

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Nope, she was cremated.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's probably true in the climate of Italy where IIRC you grew up, but it's not the case in the UK.

It's astonishing how many spores are floating around all the time.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I cover the cut end of my bread with a piece of cling film and keep it in a cotton draw string bag. This works very well.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I keep mine in a plastic bag that get used for a month or so with fresh bread from the bread machine every 4 days and that works perfectly and is a lot less farting around.

Reply to
Rod Speed