Motorway speed cameras

There is an old saw that says a law that everyone breaks is a bad law. This should apply to speed limits that are regularly broken

For the ignoratii

billyorange007

They don't to keep any of the cash from catching the bastards with the untaxed/uninsured/unMOTed cars so they don't see it as a way to spend their own budget.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Well if they are not crimes then why do I have to go to court when I am done for speeding?

And what's all that bollocks with a victim surcharge that they always stick on top of the fine and the magistrates costs?

What victim?

Reply to
ARW

Which for some reason still takes a week to update. Are DVLA using a 48K Spectrum or are the insurance companies dragging their feet to upload their info?

Reply to
ARW

Which speed limit does everyone break?

Reply to
dennis

At risk isnt the same thing as being liable for the costs.

You may also be

Reply to
Jac Brown

Unlikely.

But didn?t understand the answers you were given.

Yes, but all that is necessary for that is to check that you did get a confirmation from the insurance company that you paid the premium.

No it does not.

There is no legal requirement to do that.

Irrelevant to what the law requires.

Reply to
Jac Brown

some time between being notified and a case coming to court.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK Dennis, *you* in this instance are not included in the "everyone" as you are perfect.

Reply to
Richard

Its not just women that can't reverse. Most of them around here are forever hitting the kerb when they reverse. Some stop when they hit the car behind. Most take a few goes to get in the right place and quite a few give up and drive off.

Reply to
dennis

Apparently something to do with men showing them what 10 inches looks like...

You seem to be ignoring the qualifier at the end "if proof of insurance cannot be provided.". i.e. if it not on the database, then yes you may be stopped. However all the other consequences can only occur if you are unable to prove its insured.

So if you can say here are the docs provided by the insurer, and the certificate of insurance, and the receipt etc. Then it would seem to a reasonable person that they have done was is required.

Reply to
John Rumm

All this metric conversion has confused them.

When I was younger I would give them ten inches, nowadays they have to make do with 25.4cm.

Although there was an odd one today at work. The question was how may gallons are there in 55 litres?

I know that 11 gallons is 50 litres and it's a bit easy to add 10% to 11 so I replied 12.1 gallons.

Everyone in the building site office looked at me like I was the autistic one from Rain Man.

Reply to
ARW

Then there is the ability to know if the answer is plausible.

For instance this report:

Includes the gem

"Thirty-six tanker loads ? each carrying 136 cubic metres ? of nastiness has been excavated and removed by seven workers..."

Even if they don't know that this is an unfeasibly large tanker, it might help to know that 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 tonne.

Checking other sources, they quoted 3000 gallons per load. Clearly somebody has screwed up metrication, and is out by a factor of 10.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Errm yes, quite right. And being able to quickly compute an approximate answer by appropriate rounding.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hang on that is a commercial site that charges you to do an insurance search. I will be holding my insurers legal assistance liable for any costs I incur because of their *negligence*. No way am I paying a third party that I have never heard of to check my own insurance status.

That might have worked in the past when insurance certificates were actually certificate like, issued by insurers and had anti-forgery measures. My insurance certificate was printed on my own laser printer from a PDF sent by the insurer and is as poxy as hell. I wouldn't have any confidence in a paper certificate not being doctored. I reckon it would take me no more than an hour to forge one for Mr Donald Duck.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No. I presume that the paid for search gives you more details, but there is a link in the text, part-way down the page, that is free to use and simply tells you if a vehicle is on the database and if it is currently insured.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If there is any doubt, a call to the insurer would produce adequate verification that its insured.

Reply to
John Rumm

A call will show you are insured without having to have any certificate available. The problem is that if your vehicle is not on the database and you don't have the certificate available, the police will try calling, but not all insurers can confirm 24/7 (at least judging by various real-life TV programmes). Without confirmation, the police will impound your vehicle and charge you to have it released when the proof is available.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not difficult though is it... forward a copy of the renewal docs from the insurer to your phone etc, and then you can get to them whenever you need.

Reply to
John Rumm