Most cost effective heating for shed and stove.

That kind of works as long as you're not after best comfort.

Even more economical to run is microwave heating. You can feel nicely warm in a 10C room with that on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to Steve Walker, Iggy wrote: There might be an equalizer there. The heat lamps can be costly and the wattage may be quite a bit higher, but the heat's immediate. However, he'd probably want

1 or 2 for his feet and legs and may need to turn around often to get the backside bubbly.
Reply to
Iggy
[23 lines snipped]

Well, the side of you facing the heater can.

Reply to
Huge

Hmm, I'd not thought of that :-( I can see the merit of I-R for heating one side of a person but it's not much good for heating an area.

Reply to
bin

That's the point really in the places they are used. They keep the personnel comfortable, without having to heat the whole building.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The type that work really well are the long wavelength gas fired tubes you see in some shops / warehouses - usually high in the roof space, they look like a thick black pipe with a reflector behind them. Being above and far away they tend to bath you in IR rather like being out in the the sun.

For domestic use you are usually stuck with the more traditional IR radiant style element. Nice for directional heat like you get form a fire, but not that good at making a space comfortable quickly. There are also a bunch of halogen style heaters that give off quite a bit of light. These don't really work that well IME, and are rather bright to have in your eye line. They do heat a space slowly by convection.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've had one in my shed for some years, one of a pair I used elsewhere one of which emits a much redder light than the other. The shed one is the one with a more yellow light and the main advantage is that the warming effect on me is fairly instant so is fine for a short job. Longer term heating is by a home made heat pump arrangement which is basically a beer cooler mounted outside and trying to cool the surrounding air and the heat dump mounted in the shed. Cheap to run but takes a while to start raising the temperature.

Suits my style of shed which is w/shop and tool store but a posh shed used as a man cave would probably need something less industrial. It is not recommended that such halogen tube heaters are mounted where they can constantly shine direct into eyes.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg