Mosquito alarm equivalents?

tony sayer wrote:

Didn't exist then mate.

That would rather depend on what's in the specs!

Indeed, the IF bandwidth of an FM receiver is particularly critical in determining performance, particularly when carrying a stereo subcarrier. But it's perfectly possible to include information on the shape, width and phase performance of the IF passband in the specs. We don't need to get into "golden ear" stuff.
David.
David Looser wrote:

It might be, but in the days when I was doing this,(1975) no one did.
In particular ceramic filters sounded pants.
I am sure things have changed since then, though.
We don't need to get into

.
FWIW Yamaha did once do FM tuners with 'active nulling' of the 19k pilot tone so their filters could be more relaxed about HF roll-away.

Indeed, as does limiting the transmission bandwidth.
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/BandwidthBlues/page.html
Reviews and maker specs tend to tell you something like the 'mono 300Hz' distortion and not mention other types of modulation. Hardly surprising behaviour on their part - once you've measured and/or analysed other situations. 8-]
Slainte,
Jim
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
I'm talking about the ultrasonic teen repellants. For a gadget that just generates a high-pitched sound they're astronomically expensive, around 500. http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html?743x902#743X0 It must surely be possible to knock something up with bits from Maplins that will do the same thing for a tenner?
If you want to feel your age: http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org /

Sounds like a good way to get a noise abatement order imposed on you. Just because you can't hear it doesn't stop it being a nuisance if someone reports you. Its not just teenagers that can hear it but babies and young children as well as dogs, cats, maybe bats and other protected species.
On 3 Aug, 14:10, Anita Palley wrote:

Or you could get a Richard Clayderman LP from local charity shop for 50p.
Owain
In message

Surely you don't want to buy 5 of them
--
geoff

In message

I was talking to a malaria expert (tropical diseases doctor at Edinburgh Uni) and he confirmed that catnip is an effective mosquito repellant. I read it in NS a couple of years ago
--
geoff

writes

Hmm:
Not what the OP was after, but having nuisance youths ripped to pieces by frenzied moggies has a certain appeal...

Yeah - I jumped to the middle bit which, in conjunction with the subject gave me a senior moment. Everyone else is having one, why can't I ?
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Is that a Japanese cat?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ouch ! :-)
Arfa

Nah, just one which bites yer bum
--
geoff

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 06:10:26 -0700, Anita Palley wrote:

'Green' solution: Get a small cardboard box with a lid. Install a fine metal mesh under the lid. Fill the box with mosquitos. Open lid when undesirable youths are nearby.
Decorating the box and use of sticky-backed plastic are optional.

Need a big box to house a couple of twin engined bombers, IWHT
--
geoff