More mixer shower woes

That boiler should be just fine with a mixer shower that states its suitable for use with combi boiler. It seems that back pressure from the cold feed to the shower valve is going into the boiler h/w output and so stopping the flow. These valves often come with various restrictors that you put in either feed to even out the flow.

Reply to
BillV

OT: your clock is a little fast, I think.

Reply to
Graeme

Err, yes. A matter of some hours!

Cheers!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Collins

I've been hoping to install a mixer shower, the problem I have is this

- the boiler (Worcester-Bosch 240) if fine for CH, but will only heat DHW if the tap is fully on. If it isn't, or another tap in the house is in use, the boiler will shut down.

Discretion being the better part of valour I bought a udder type mixer shower just to check to see if it would work, and it won't. The boiler just about fires up with the hot tap only on, but touch the cold tap and the boiler shuts down.

Before I beg some expert advice; - the diverter valve in the boiler was replaced a while ago - the entire house water supply comes from a lead pipe(!) into a single 15mm pipe. - Cold flow rate is about 17 litres/minute - Hot flow rate is about 8 litres/minute - pressure is good, it's difficult to keep my thumb over the tap.

OK, I'm now begging. What is likely to be wrong and is there any way I can fix it? I'm looking for an excuse to replace the lead pipe (and the 15mm copper), but most of the lead is the main side of the only stopcock. Is this a plumber job or do I call the water company?

Now, assuming I'm up the creek here and have to go for an electric... One particular member of the family will not have anything cheap looking in the bathroom (pointing out that electric showers come in very expensive and don't look much different seems to have no effect). Is there any way I can avoid an annoying plastic box on the wall?

Thanks for your help!

-Andrew

-- Andrew Collins replace .nospam with .com to reply

Reply to
Andrew Collins

Looks likely. I took the crappy Wilko udder thing apart and found a rubber washer crammed in half blocking the shower head. Took that out and put it in properly and hey presto, works.

Incidentally, I turned the DHW heat down a bit and the boiler seems to fire up with less throughput. I would have thought this should be the other way round... could be just an illusion, of course.

Thanks, Andrew

-- Andrew Collins Change .nospam to .com to reply

Reply to
Andrew Collins