Monoblock tap removal

I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a look. On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc. Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a standard size? Thanks, Andy

Reply to
stixwix

Use an appropriate box spanner

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I used a socket from the local car spares shop. Worked a treat on the end of a not too long extension and ratchet.

-----but if the pipes have been splayed out.......

Reply to
John

You don't need to take it off. If it goes from on to off in a quarter turn you may need to change the ceramic cartridges, or if it takes several turns maybe the rubber washer. Both are accessable by removing the top, undoing the screw & unscrewing the jumper - make sure the water is off first obviously.

Plumbers use a set of box spanners. They are around a £5 from a 'real' plumbers shop.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sockets and box spanners won't work because the water supply pipes connect to the base of the tap. I would have thought this would always be the case? I'll see if i can pick up a normal 'open' spanner from a hardware shop.

Reply to
stixwix

You said you wanted to remove the tap, so to do this you'll have to disconnect the pipes. After that you can usually get a box spanner on to the nut.

But if you wish to just slacken the nut without disconnecting, a pair of slip joint (waterpump) pliers is likely to be as good as an open end spanner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But I thought you were trying to remove what you describe as the "big nut" in other words,the one that holds the tap to the basin so a box spanner should do or an adjustable or similar .. If you want to fully remove the tap then you will also need to undo the nearest connector to the supply pipes which should be somewhere near to the tap either at the foot of the flexible connectors or on the copper pipe ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart