Moisture absorbing calcium chloride crystals

Ian,

you need to brush up a little on your chemistry, I'm afraid.

1) Calcium Carbonate is CaCO3 2) CaCO3 is ionic, so talking about 'molecules' of CaCO3 is not correct 3) Chlorine gas is molecular - Cl2. It won't be monatomic in air in normal conditions 4) The reaction equation implied by your statements is not CaCl2 + CO2 => CaCO2 + Cl2

Calcium Chloride is hygroscopic, such that it will absorb water from normal atmospheres to the extent of dissolving itself - and the the solution produced continues to absorb water. In solution it will be ionic. Ths is actually an equilibrium process - at some point the solution will be dilute enough to not absorb any more water from the atmosphere.

Carbon Dioxide also dissolves in water producing 'carbonic acid' - another equilibrium process whereby there will also be carbonate and hygrogen carbonate ions in solution. There is also another equilibrium process between solid calcium carbonate and calcium carbonate in solution (as a mixture of the carbonate and hydrogen carbonate).

One thing is certain, though - chlorine gas is not evolved by the solution.

To a certain extent, all chemical reactions can be regarded as equilibrium reactions. However, with most of them, the equilibrium lies so far over to one side (so to speak) that it is a useful shorthand to say that reactants are transformed into products.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

replying to Philipj.cosson, Stu wrote: I have the same problem, got myself a karcher window vacuum, takes moisture away quickly

Reply to
Stu

Please if you must use this broken interface to Usenet, Look at the date of the post you are replying to before you put electrons to internet so to speak. The Home owners club interface seems to ignore years so you can very easily find a post from many years ago coming back around on there. I just looked at the origin of this one on that site and found the following date.

posted on December 6, 2006, 11:27 am

Which makes a reply look a little strange! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You think these hit-and-run "contributors" ever look at that thread again?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I'd say quite often yes, as I'm sure this particular person has been on before. The message was really to serve as a warning to others though. I've seen the sarcastic posts so I thought I'd try a different tack. Its hard to block them on my client, as I do not have the ability to filter on the correct strings. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff