mirror screws: with or without grommets?

Hello,

I see screw fix are selling mirror screws with grommets:

but Tool station sell screws without.

How essential is the grommet? Where can I get grommets separately?

Reading the reviews, the ones from SF seem the better bet.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

How valuable is the mirror? Or how dangerous would it be if it breaks?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Definitely you want the plastic grommets for glass mirrors but a lot of mirrors these days are plastic.

Reply to
alan_m

You need some kind of washers at the very least to even out the pressure, assuming the mirror is glass. We used to use corner pieces in the old days and not have mirrors with holes at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Stephen brought next idea :

A grommet is essential, to to conform to the screw and distribute the fixing load more evenly over a very hard surface, plus to allow for some expansion and contraction. A tiny area of contact on the mirror will quickly crack the glass.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks, I'll get the SF ones with grommets.

Reply to
Stephen