Mirror Adhesive

I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab wall (painted). I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly taken by a tiled splashback.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Don't bother unless you want to hear an almighty crash one night.

Have holes drilled in it and use those brass screws with the chromed screw in caps. Very unobtrusive.

Reply to
Ericp

yep. get the recommended mirror adhesive from a glaziers.

I put one up, made a cup of coffee, and my wife put her head round the door 'I want it much lower' (she is shorter than me.)

Nearly bust the mirror getting it off. after only ten minutes. If it had been fully dry, no way.

Don't use double sided sticky pads though. just about able to hold a shaving mirror on tiles, but that's it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Absolutely, I've often put them up, with no problems at all; including a couple of big ones about 5' x 3'. I'm under no illusions that they will ever come off the wall except in small pieces.

Vital to use proper mirror adhesive and to follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. There are different types; one is solovent-based impact adhesive which you spread thinly on both surfaces, allow to dry and then press together; the other sort is more 'bulky' and you apply it from a cartridge gun in thick beads about 6" apart. You need to maintain the thickness of the bead for it to do its job; I usually attach a few spacers to the back of the mirror so it can't be pressed too closely against the wall; this also allows air behind to ensure the adhesive 'goes off'.

Another good tip for a big mirror is to screw a temporary batten to the wall to take the weight of the mirror while it sets.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The mirror in my garage is held up with silcone. And not only has it not fallen off, I can't get the damn thing off to move it.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Huge

The mirror in my bathroom is attached by a series of metal clips with plastic inserts round the mirror. These are screwed to the wall, fit the mirror then slide the clips across. They were fitted when I moved in so can't help with a source. It is easy to remove the clips when you need to redecorate.

Reply to
chudford

+1
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like these?

The Medway Handyman

I normally run a bead of clear silicone round the back, slap it on, and support with gaffer tape until set. If you ever want to get it off, run a guitar string or similar behind it and "saw" through the silicone.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Mirror1200 x 600 on door in cupboard in hall held by blue tack pads on the recommendation of the glazier. Been there for 20 years never budged.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred