Minor rant - kitchen overhead cabinets.

Minor remodelling of the kitchen means that I can put some more kitchen cabinets on the wall. I already have a couple of spare doors so only require the carcasses. No problem I thought as the local sheds (and some more distant ones) have what I need at around £40 to £60 a pop.

Unfortunately although I can find carcasses that are correct for my door sizes they are not the same depth and therefore do not match what I already have. :(

Reply to
alan_m

Position them so that the change in depth looks like a design feature.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I was thinking the same...

Style it out.

Reply to
R D S

Are the shallower or deeper? If shallower, just put some battens behind to make up the difference.

Reply to
GB

This is a d-i-y group. Can't you get some sheet material and make your own?

Reply to
John J

Three choices: - Make your own, it's not difficult. - Mount the shallow ones on a stud spacing structure (make sure to brace appropriately) - Turn the depth change into a "feechur"

Reply to
nothanks

At 35 quid its cheaper to buy the flat pack. Plus, for the next few weeks much more DIY to worry about.

Reply to
alan_m

or buy deeper ones, and trim the back off.

Reply to
John Rumm

My son agreed to do this for a customer, and he says it's a bugger of a job. I suspect that he means he underestimated the work, and wildly under-quoted. I also expect that the correct way to do this was to insist that the customer chose different units.

All the panels and shelves needed to be cut down neatly, without chipping the finishes. New shelf mounting holes. The panel joint fixings had been cut off. The back panel needed to be mounted. This is pretty easy with automatic machinery set up in a factory, but loads of quite skilled work to do on site.

Reply to
GB

Are they too shallow? That can be fixed, surely with some kind of trim? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1

I've now purchased a couple of carcasses and will rearrange/move the units already on the wall to have one group with shallow depth and another with a deeper depth. I bit more work than I intended.

I did consider cutting the new units down but as you say not as straight forward as first seems. The units are held together with with the post and cam fittings. To reduce the depth the 4 fittings of this type at the back would be cut off as well as the channel that the backboard slots into.

Although the dimensions for the doors are to be standard sizes the depth of the wall cabinets seem to be different for every manufacturer/brand and even in the same store/shed seem to change on a regular basis.

Reply to
alan_m

I simply couldn't find ready mades which were a perfect fit. Between chimney breast and outside wall - then along that to the window. With stock sized doors, meant different depths. Or big gaps. So put up Spur shelving, and built them around that. And quite handy having no partitions between them. And with the Spur supports, can take any load you throw at them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News