Minimising Phantom Load

Folks,

After looking at a discussion on SMART Meters and standby power, I found when exploring the settings in my ovens that there was an option to turn the displays off.

Is this purely for ascetics or does it save power?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

A lot of display technologies, wear the longer you use them.

That's as good a reason as any, to turn them off.

If enabling the display later, it still has the correct time, then you can assume it has some sort of power source in there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Is this purely for ascetics or does it save power?

Dave

an oxymoron !

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I'm sure ascetics would be fascinated, or did you mean aesthetics?

Reply to
Chris Green

It can save power - if you worry about the right loads. Worrying about every switched mode PSU that is left plugged in but not connected to a load will do little. As would not using standby mode on a modern TV.

However LED lighting in place of tungsten will make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
John Rumm

Who uses incandescent lamps these days? It's greenies clutching at straws. Just use the electricity you need.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well some vacuum fluorescent displays do, but not all of them. I've got a tuner bought in 1990, used nearly every day, and it's as bright as ever. Another one rarely used has faded significantly.

Reply to
Max Demian

Along with the hair shirt?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Me

I've got hundreds of them and my late wife preferred them. Except for the kitchen - which has an LED batten - we only lit rooms when it was dark outside - and then on dimmers - and so at times when their heat wouldn't be wasted.

I realise that no-one will accept the above.

The only grief I have is that the incandescents very rarely fail, so my stock will way outlive me!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Compared to an element not very much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh, I do. The thing that enrages me that if we had built nukes years ago in The Blair Years, electricity would be carbon free and dirt cheap by now.

I replaced another GU50 halide yesterday - still got a stock of em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I haven't got hundreds but I bought a big box of 100 Watt incandescents as soon as they announced they would no longer be made. The current LEDs are pretty good but like you I'm not sure if I will ever need to buy any :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Most of mine were free.

I'd ordered a few from Farnell. This order resulted in all of Farnell's other orders being charged to my bank account. The bank got pretty annoyed at this. Me too.

Farnell's act of contrition was to offer to send me all of their stock of the incandescent I'd ordered. They were getting out of incandescents, anyway. So I've got a lot!

Any everyday occurrence in the crazy, dysfunctional world of PA

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

In a similar vein, Fluorescent tubes seem to have vanished, well before their "banned" date.

Screwfix still list loads of tubes, but in all their listings, right across the country, "No Stock"

Hazardous, apparently.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

The channel number display on my 2012 Humax HD FOX T2 has lost two of the vertical bars from the first and second numbers, so BBC 4 HD 106 looks a bit odd.

Reply to
Andrew

Mine is all right but the display is too dim to see in normal lighting. Apparently it's a white VFD behind an orange filter.

Reply to
Max Demian

No-one's invented a zero power display yet. Well, paper & etch-a-sketch perhaps. The possible power saving is too tiny to make any noticeable difference though, unless you've got some bizarre prototype from the 1950s.

If the display is driven from a CR psu, as a lot are, it'll make zero difference as the saved power will be dissipated by the zener.

Reply to
Animal

Not sure that ascetics would even use an oven!

More seriously, I wonder if there is some religious link about displays.

Different religion, but you've probably come across Sabbath mode. In fact, our oven has both options. Sabbath mode doesn't seem to preclude a display

- but see below.

It is possible that the display changes when the door is opened. That would violate the laws, so having the display off would avoid that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What nonsense, I suppose it doesn't cook pork either.

Reply to
jon

Mine does have a sabbath mode. Never checked to see what it does. I wonder does Alexa have a Sabbath mode...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade