microwave oven

Stephen wrote:

ditto :-)

Steam is a gas, microwaves are electro-magnetic radiation so they have nothing in common - unless we start talking quantum physics :-)
Steam coming out of a microwave oven is fine - after all they're not airtight and you wouldn't want a pressure build-up while you were boiling something.
Alan
--
email ~= s/nospam//

I've noticed we seem to use it more for convection than microwaves and have never used the grill. What about you?
It's a shame that only the back has the self-cleaning surface or is that because of the microwaves?

I hadn't thought about the pressure build up, that's a good point. Thanks for the reassurance. Strange it should come from the bottom though, not the top.
Stephen wrote:

We originally bought ours S/H to use while the kitchen was being extended and we'd be without a cooker. If this one dies we'll be buying another.
It makes excellent baked potatoes on the programmed setting and does chicken portions really well (provided you don't get impatient and allow them to 'rest' for at least 5 min.).
I'll pass on one really good recipe - I chop up some leeks really finely and slap the 2 halves of a pheasant (breast side up) on them in a large pyrex flan dish and cook as 2 chicken portions. About 5 min before the end I cover the breasts with streaky bacon to stop them burning and finish the cooking. Allow to rest for 10 min - loverly, quick and easy :-) BTW Pheasant is (fairly) cheap in Norfolk during the shooting season.
Alan
--
email ~= s/nospam//

No, a microwave oven uses a rather cunning trick to make it sealed to microwaves without requiring a precision fitted door with contact seals.
It is called a "choke seal" which is a non-contact seal and very tolerant of misalignment, gaps, and even dirt.. It depends on the relationship between the dimensions of the oven surround and the oven frequency (of 2.45GHz ).
The door's "microwave seal" should last forever if the door and the adjacent oven edge surface are not mechanically damaged and the door hinges and latch don't grossly shift position. A visual inspection is all you need to do.
It happens that Stephen formulated :

The seals are not designed to be steam proof, but only to protect YOU from the escape of microwaves. If you have concerns, get a microwave leakage detector. They are not expensive - probably Maplins will sell them.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

these are of no use in microwave safety testing. Many dont even work. Next time ask in an electronics group.
NT