Microwave malarky.

I have one like that still going.

Reply to
Fredxx

How do Panasonic inverter microwaves work then ?.

My trusty, reliable Sharp just pulsed on and off in varying times when a power setting less than 100% was chosen, but the Panny sounds the same om Medium as it does on full power.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The secondary metal tray that comes with a Panny combi micro (which you must use on top of the glass turntable when using grill or convection oven) was missing from my BHF charity shop purchase so I use the old enamelled metal turntable from my defunct Sharp. It's the same diameter so just sits on top. They are about £44 to buy :-(. I only paid £30 for the oven.

Reply to
Andrew

Really. That is what the Sharp microwaves had, plus a halogen grill at the top, allowing it to get up to convection temp (even up to 230C) in minutes.

No-one seems to make them like that now, so I'm not surprised you are repairing yours. My Sharp is sitting in my car waiting for its trip to the dump, even though the grill and oven part work fine, only the microwave bit is dead.

Reply to
Andrew

He threw away a £45 Tesco cheapee and replaced it with a commercial microwave, but they tend to be too big for most domestic settings and usage.

Reply to
Andrew

OK sorry, I mis-followed the threads. But that's my view, some things are not actually worth fixing, especially if they are recycled appropriately.

Reply to
newshound

That's it. Mine has a grill at the top too. I have done whole roasted chicken in there before, as well as home-made pizza, it's excellent, and yes that is one reason I am trying to fix it. I can't remember, but did you try fixing yours?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Linear power control, no pulsing.

It's a variant of SMPS, the transformer is physically smaller etc....

Panasonic normally make domestic goods and electronics that last a good years with abuse. Their microwave ovens are fine, have a good bit of space inside. However, they don't last - we've sent three of basically the same model to the skip in twenty years.

Kept all the glass turntables though.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You can see a sample schematic here. AC to DC to AC to DC.

T701 is the output transformer.

Reply to
Paul

Mo, I don't really have the courage to poke about too carefully and it weighs about 21 KG so it is a bit of a lump to manouvre.

If the 2nd hand panny lasts a year I haven't lost anything, it was only £30. Actually, considering it only has the halogen top element for grill and oven it gets up to temp acceptably fast. I only use it up to 190C and I don't do Pizzas.

Reply to
Andrew

I came across this link and thought of this thread.

It shows the diode and capacitor arrangement clearly and typical of a mains transformer (non-inverter) circuit.

Fredxx

On 18/05/2021 12:48, Fredxx wrote: > I came across this link and thought of this thread. >

1st. class stamps on, too. I'm still a little worried about the state of my diode
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well, I fitter a used magnetron sourced from appliancespareparts.mysimplestore.com, with some worry, because it looked as if it had been wrenched from some machine and thrown into a parts bit with lots of others. Anyway, straightened out where possible, fitted, bits put back together, replaced the fuse and it works. Yay! Success! What was cold can now easily be made hot again.

The "headline" part number "M24FB-610A GALANZ MICROWAVE MAGNETRON" is the same on both the original and replacement, but the business ends of the things, have differently shaped holes, presumably something to do with how they're put together during manufacture, I can't see anything that says the hole shape has anything to do with functionality.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is that the one on your left side?

:-)

Reply to
newshound

No, it's OK in fact. I used the microwave to warm up my tea. But now I have no tea.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I got it mate. ;-)

Cheers, T i m