Microbore Manafold

You can try for nought?

Reply to
Jimk

I have a radiator with a sluggish flow pipe (checked by looking at flow from radiator drain when opening either flow or return and seeing a vast difference)

Based on a previous problem I suspectthe outlet from the manifold to be choked with scale and or debris.

The manifold is rather "busy" and in a tricky location. I don't want to just go in randomly disturbing joints.

Any ideas for identifying which union it might be. I can possibly eliminate some from the direction - but want to identigy the problem one.

I had previously had a radiator re-piped (during some building work) due to the same problem - but the blockage was only at the manifold - the pipe was clean. Unfortunately I wasn't home when it was being done.

Reply to
John

turn all rads off except the tricky one, see which pipe from the manifold has (at least some) flow warming it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Let the system go cold. Shut control (not lock sheild) valves on all but the poor performing radiator. Turn system on, monitor pipe temps. The one that warms first is the flow to the dodgy rad one a bit cooler the return. Helps if you have an IR thermometer. Re-open the control valves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh and this may flush the crud to somewhere else where it's not a problem. IR camera could replace IR thermometer. Lo res modules can be had for < £40 for use with a Pi or similar.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Thanks - just concerned that limited access might mean that conduction through the copper pipe from the manifold may confuse things.

Reply to
John

If the distance and pipe id permit try rodding with a flexible curtain wire

Reply to
Cynic

Cynic snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I reckon about 15 feet. At the radiator end there are 2 90 degree bends.

Had tried back flusing with mains water when the system was empty.

Reply to
John

Cut the pipe, rod out and rejoin?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Have you considered an airlock these commonly occur on re-filling after a drain down especially on a system with drop feeds to radiators.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Over the years I have tried many things - including back flushing. Evidence from another union leads me to suspect a blockage - possibly due to a burr on the pipe.

Reply to
John

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:qs40ul$ad4$3@dont- email.me:

Good idea - if the pipe can be identified - and if there is room to do it.Lots of bent pipes and limited space.

Reply to
John