Methane detector

On 07/04/2022 17:42, PeterC wrote: <snip>

They are easy to buy and trivial to make from some transparent tubing. I've made a temporary one from tubing and sellotape.

I guess whether you check is down to how important you think the issue is?

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks for the tip on searching. I tend to use (fairly) standard English from 60 years ago, so the USAnian-orientated web can't find things that I want.. Amazon was playing up in two browsers so ebay it was. I tend to use ebay with Amazon's reviews, then look for a seller with >99% rating. Anyway, ordered one of these:

just hope.

Reply to
PeterC

No open anything in that room :-( Tried the tip of turning off the gas at the meter, making sure to turn off the stat and boiler. After a couple of hour I turned on the gas and there was a hiss as the pipe refilled. Now I've had the procedure that required >20h fasting plus about 90 min. on the loo I can get the man back to fix it.I'm reluctant to sqirt leak detector inside a week-old boiler.

Reply to
PeterC

If its anything like the one I saw in use, it beeps, beeping faster as the concentration of flammable whatever rises.

Move towards the faster beep, done. ISTR the amounts of gas were below the level where it could be smelled.

"Flammable whatever" because it think this or at least some sensors react to temperature change caused by organics burning, so propane, butane, methane, natural gas, alcohol, and solvents would all set them off.

You could try it on the gas from an small portable butane test dispenser, i.e. an unlit lighter... get a feel for how sensitive it is?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes, a lighter. Hadn't had any for about 30 years as there were a couple of boxes of matches from my father's days. Even kept in a warm, dry room they failed to work - just crumbed away - so I bought a couple of disposable lighters. I'll test the detector in a room well away from the boiler. The man from Cadent tested all over the place and didn't detect a leak. I guess that his detector cost a lot as it gave a reading of concentration, so he could follow the gradient towards the source.

Reply to
PeterC

The combustion chamber is generally room sealed. There is an unsealed outer cover over it.

Reply to
Brian