Mastic not setting

Ime they usually go solid in the tube, rather than non-setting, but spose it depends on the chemistry of each sort...

Reply to
Jimk

Been to Specsavers ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

9th line down?
Reply to
Jimk

Silicone = rubber

Reply to
Jimk

Kin ell I hope you didn't pay 15 quid a tube for it!

Reply to
Jimk

Hi All

On Saturday I did some mastic around an outdoor worktop. Oddly, the mastic has still not fully set. Given the temperature I would have thought it would have done more quickly rather than less. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Surely mastic never sets, but remains flexible

Reply to
charles

Stupid question maybe, but is it the right mastic and not a non setting mastic?

Reply to
Richard

Ah I didn't know there was such a thing as a non-setting mastic. This is what I have

It says it supports high movement and the instructions does not give a curing tine.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Mastic is not intended to set. It's supposed to remain flexible. Mastic= Plastic

Reply to
harry

Erm, it does give a curing time in the specs from your link:

Colour Grey Application Bonding, Exterior, Sealing Package Size 310 ml Package Type Cartridge Minimum Operating Temperature -50°C Maximum Operating Temperature +120°C Food Processing Safe No Physical Properties Low Modulus, Neutral Cure, Waterproof Cure Time 1 (6 mm) day Product Form Paste Operating Temperature Range -50 ? +120 °C

Reply to
Richard

You're on the ball today.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks all. No didn't pay that for it. Was just the easiest link I found when googling it :). Can't recall where I bought it TBH.

By curing / setting I mean that it goes into a rubber like product which holds its shape but distorts/ flexs as you push/ move it. Like bathroom silicone. This is still tacky to the touch and if you run your finger over it it will come off similar to when you first put it on. Having said that it is a bit more rigid / thicker than when it came out of the tube.

Thought it might have gone off maybe but it was an unopened tube.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

How old an unopened tube? I ask as I used some a few years back that was well past its best before date. It took a little time to set properly: over 6 months.

Reply to
Robin

That's why they have "use by dates".

Reply to
Richard

I had some neutral-cure silicone stuff and when I used the remains of one tube, about 8 months later, it took about a week to skin over and never really set properly.

Reply to
Andrew

I have noticed the same on neutral-cure 'mastic', but only when using a tube that was part used and stored (indoors) for a a few months. It just seemed to take a long, long time to skin over and 'set'.

Reply to
Andrew

To be honest I can't recall when I bought it. I would guess it is several months. Just checked the tube and no use by or manufactured date so hard to know whether that is the issue.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Skin formation takes approximately 10-20 minutes dependent on bead width, temperature and humidity. EVO-STIK Building Silicone Sealant dries through at a rate of 2-3mm per 24 hour

Both at 23C+ and 55% relative humidity

alan_m

In the sun it may feel hot but the average temperature over 24 hours in the south of the UK is in the low teens.

Reply to
alan_m