Makita TD020DSE - comments after a month or two's use

I bought a Makita TD020DSE a few months ago after reading some recommendations here and thought I'd report on what I think of it.

Good points:- It's quite light. I like the little built in torch. The batteries last well.

Bad points:- The switches don't come to hand easily. The bit holder is "back to front" (i.e. you pull the collar out to insert a bit, most unnatural and unlike every other one I've used). There's no speed or torque control at all.

It's that last point that means I don't use the TD020DSE as much as I otherwise would. It's far too crude to use for many screwdriving jobs. When you press the trigger you get whizz-rat-ta-tat-tat and there's no controlling it at all. My really cheap and nasty green Bosch 9.6 volt cordless is actually *much* more controllable and more powerful. I just did a test, the TD020DSE takes about twice as long to drive a 4mm x 4cm screw as does the Bosch PSR960 and it makes a racket while it does it. The PSR960's batteries are knackered though and don't hold their charge well.

.... and why on earth they supply two PZ3 bits with the TD020DSE I'll never know, it's incapable of driving screws that size.

Reply to
tinnews

First thing I did was drive a large screw - PZ3 - into a tough fence post. It certainly did that. And it beats the pants off my other small Bosch driver (which is a low end model - can't remember which one right now).

I also wish it had some variability but the more I use it, the less it is a problem.

I *like* the switches - especially in awkward corners. I thought I wouldn't but came to do so.

I certainly would like a next-model-up with a bit more power, variable speed/torque and, ideally, ability to switch the impact on or off.

Noise - I agree. I wish it were quieter.

Bit retainer - it's the only one I have anything like it is - my small one is just a hex socket with a wimpy magnet, my drill/driver has a full chuck. I just assumed it would work the way it does. But if I others that were the other way round, I would agree with you.

Reply to
Rod

Blimey! There's no way mine would put a 6mm screw into a fence post.

6mm diameter screws are the only ones I have which have PZ3 heads. Apart from anything else you need something serious to hold onto for that sort of torque.

I'm not totally convinced I don't like the switches, but I nearly always have to look to find them which seems wrong to me.

Yes, I think that's what I really feel about it. I don't want more power as I bought it specifically to be a lightweight/quick screwdriver but more speed control and turning off the impact would be

*much* better.

When I say it's like no other I'm referring to the "quick release" bit sets I have. All their bit holders pull back towards the drill to releas the bit. It seems a much more natural way round to do it (though maybe that's familiarity). Two handed it makes more sense for the hand on the bit holder to pull one way while the hand on the bit pulls the other way.

Reply to
tinnews

6.0 x 80 Turbo Ultra (Stainless) from Screwfix - without a pilot hole. The head was nicely countersunk by the driver alone.
Reply to
Rod
8<

What torque? My Ryobi impact driver has no real torque back to the hand at all when driving big screws. Are you sure yours is working as an impact driver? One of the best reasons to use an impact driver is the lack of torque in use, even a five year old could hold one against a big screw.

Reply to
dennis

I think I'm to blame for starting this :-(

Agreed

I like them to be honest. I'm forever forgetting to chnge my drill drivers from reverse back to forward etc.

I've got the TD0200, a 12v Makita impact driver & a Makita mains impact driver - the bit holder is the same on all three, so if I found a machine where you pulled the collar forward I'd find that odd. Obviously a Makita thing.

It does have a clutch of sorts. I use mine all the time for flatpack. It will put in cam studs until the base is flush then stop. Perfect, no over tightening.

I love it with a magnetic holder - Wera Ringmagnet Rapidaptor -

expensive but excellent.

Granted its not anything like a powerful as say a 12v driver, the light weight, fast initial stsrt speed & no 'torque reaction' make it ideal for fiddly jobs.

Dunno, never tried it. Not what I bought it for.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Come to think of it, do any impact drivers have variable speed & impact switch off? I have 12v & mains Makita impact deivers & they work just like the TD020. No experience of other makes.

Bigger ones are even louder :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I doubt you'll find anything of that torque which is lighter.

Never used it.

True.

Yes- although it might depend on hand size.

Doesn't worry me.

There is a form of torque control - it gradually builds up the torque with each click.

I've really not found that a problem. But then I wouldn't use any power screwdriver for delicate things anyway.

I'll bet it hasn't got the same maximum torque - and will be larger and heavier?

If it's driving it in that fast how has it better control? But the other thing is the impact action much reduces cam out. Very noticeable with slot head screws.

Into ordinary wood? No problem.

My main gripe is the handle should lock in the pistol grip position- several times it has gone to the 'straight' position when driving awkward screws.

If you got yours for the 30 ish quid off Ebay - be glad. I've seen them for over twice that in other places.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My 18V Makita impact driver is variable speed, but there is no impact off since that is its only purpose in life really. One of the four function combis however obviously have impact off modes.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, go along with that...

I don't find them too bad.

That is the same as every other impact driver I have used to be honest, so I don't think it is an unusual design.

Yup, speed control would make it more versatile.

With practice you can drive small screws, but it is not a natural at it. My 18V combi does a better job on the really small stuff!

Reply to
John Rumm

My ryobi has variable speed. It doesn't have a switch to turn the impact off but it doesn't impact at all unless the screw is resisting motion. It appears to have a clutch that only engages the impact mechanism once the screw resist enough. I have driven 13x4 mm screw without problems using it. Its quite quite when doing small screws and makes a hell of a din when driving big ones.

Reply to
dennis

Well I just tried *exactly* the same (I use those screws too) and it gave up when the screw had only gone in about 1", it took ages to get that far even. This was into a (fairly new) softwood gatepost. It couldn't get it out either, I had to go and get my 9.6v Metabo to remove it.

I'm lucky, I have a switched on GP who spotted it from some other blood tests I had done! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

It certainly is working as an impact driver, horrible noise! :-)

My recent experiment driving a 6mm screw into a gatepost (it only managed about 1") did produce some torque one had to hold against though I admit it's less than with a conventional driver. It's only the mass/inertia of the driver that reduces the torque you feel.

Reply to
tinnews

The fence post was several years old but absolutely sound. I have a feeling that slightly aged wood might be better than new(-ish).

You are unlucky. :-(

But a bit luckier than the many in whom it is ignored for decades.

I hope you have taken the time to read all about it? Many doctors, even if they are good at initial diagnosis (which seems to be rare), are poor at long term management. Anyway - that is rather OT - but will always respond to email or alt.support.thyroid posts if needed. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Well, the Makita which is the thread is about the lightest impact driver you'll find and has as near enough no torque feedback to the hand. If it isn't near eliminating this it isn't doing its job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worth bearing mind the small Mak only produces 17Nm - so not much by grown up driver standards, although good for the size and weight.

Reply to
John Rumm

I reckon there is something wrong with yours - no back torque with mine at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman