Makita lithium ion 18V

I've just been given a Makita DTW190 impact wrench and mating BL1830B battery but no charger. I was given it without charger because the person believes I have a compatible charger (and other battery) but I can't find it atm.

So, in the meantime I charged the battery using my GP charger and it now show 4 out of 4 charge LEDs ... and I'm going to 3D print a charging clip off Thingiverse to make that process more straightforward.

The multipin connector on the battery looks like it could be a balance connector of some sort but I couldn't see any voltages on it from a quick look with the DMM so have to assume the BMS in there looks after the cell voltage balance itself (not the charger)?

Is there a basic / slow charger out there that's cheap, in case I can't find the other one (and assuming it's compatible if I do)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't think I have seen a slow charger for the LXT batts.

Note that these things have temperature monitoring and fan assisted active cooling as well. The idea being you can take a hot battery straight off a tool and put it on charge immediately. Whereas with older charging systems this would be a guaranteed way to knacker a battery in a fairly short time, its now the recommended thing to do with a hot battery. The charger will sense when its too hot to charge, and blow cooling air through it until its down to a safe temperature before it charges it (and cools while charging and for a time after).

The basic charger is not actually that expensive all things considered:

John Rumm

Shame ... if you don't need it in a hurry (or have enough batteries to carry you over) then I feel slow charging is the better bet.

Yeah, I think that's what the smaller connector on the battery pack is for, to pick up the thermistor in the battery.

Yup, like we used to do with RC car batteries years ago. ;-)

Cool. ;-)

Hmm, given I was given the impact wrench and battery, that makes it quite expensive, given how often I might use such a tool.

Same with impact drivers (after the last mention of them here), a(nother) mate gave me his spare one when he went over to a single brand for things. I tried to use it on some 'tough' screws and all it did was break the bit (it was probably a cheap / non impact driver bit etc).

I note there are a few clone Makita chargers for about 20 quid but I'll wait till I come across the other battery and charger I have somewhere before buying anything.

I've printed a slide connector clip that was designed to be a diy USB outlet. I'm going to fit a switch allowing it to be a USB charger and when flicking the switch, it turn off the USB and connects the battery to an input for charging on my smart charger (for now anyway).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m