making good a wall

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me some directions on the easiest way to repair a spot where I have chipped plaster on a wall?

The spot is about an inch long . Its on the corner or the line where two walls meet ( if you follow that) . The plaster came off when a door was being fitted. I cannot fill the hole in the usual way because I cannot make a good straight line where the wall is. How do you make a clean line on a place like this? Simplest possible way please. Its only a "chip! , its not a vast amount. Thanks

Reply to
sweetheart

Fill it oversize and sand back true.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Get some 'one coat' or 'repair' plaster. Not filler.

Mix up slightly more than needed, slop in the hole, then use a straight edge (a bit of wood with a good straight edge will do, but no thicker than about 1/4") to 'saw' it off flush. Use the straight edge narrow part to the wall and 'saw' it backwards and forwards as you move it along. Don't worry about the corner. Do this to both sides of the corner and leave to near dry. Wet slightly, and with a wet plasterer's float polish to a good finish. With a little practice you'll get an invisible (after decorating) repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

decorators caulk?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Kipper.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Fill the chip with any old wills you have lying around.

For larger holes keep your fingers crossed that another relative will soon peg it and include you in their will.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Fill it so one face is flush, and it overlaps the edge a bit. Wait till the filler is softly set, and wipe very gently across the other rough face from corner into the wall, ie the other way you'd expect. This is just to remove the proud stuff. Once its set, you can then fill the 2nd face flush. Its a lot easier to do than to explain.

NT

Reply to
NT

If you are worried about getting a good corner, then stick a flat bit of wood (double sided tape will do) on one wall overlapping the corner a bit, and that extends above and below the section to repair. This now gives you an internal corner to fill level on one wall which is much easier. Wait until the plaster has nearly gone off a bit, and prise the wood off, now fill from the other edge. Leave that to go off and polish a bit with a float and a splash of water, or just wait for it to harden completely and sand level with some sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood.

Reply to
John Rumm