mains pipe

|> a very disappointing small amount water was spilt/sprayed |> around the kitchen. (I was expecting a flood). | |Yes, in my case, the stopcock would turn off a little (but not much!), = which |helped. The amount of water spilt was little more than a cup full and we |didn't have a hose to the outside. But then how much water would you = expect |to lose, given that you get the valve on in little more than a couple of |seconds...

In my case, I had to put a stop c*ck onto a live mains pipe in the underdrawing. Put a compression stopcock onto a flexible hose and opened it fully. Got half a dozen lights working. Cut the pipe with a wheel pipe cutter. Shoved the stop c*ck onto the mains pipe now gushing water spectacularly. Tightened the compression fitting. Closed the = stop c*ck. All my lights but one were out, and I was absolutely soaked, but otherwise fine. Glad they have now invented freezer spray for if I ever have to do it again.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

What's an underdrawing in the house context? I've only ever heard the term in connection with art.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|>In my case, I had to put a stop c*ck onto a live mains pipe in the |>underdrawing. =20 | | |What's an underdrawing in the house context? I've only ever heard the |term in connection with art.

The hole under the ground floor. In my case three ft deep.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

I suspect he means the underfloor crawl space - underdrawing is the "ceiling" of the crawl space, where fitted to retain insulation etc.

Reply to
Rob Morley

OK, thanks. I wondered if that was what it was but wanted to know for sure.

Reply to
Andy Hall