main earth cable

I need to strip the mineral/rubber type insulation of the main supply cable so i can reach the metal casing. im going to clamp this and use this as my earth. whats the best way of stripping this ? its very thick and i dont want to be too rough with it. thanks for any advice.

Reply to
mark al

Don't!

1) It belongs to the supply company, not you. 2) You should only bugger-about with something like that if you know what you are doing; if you need to ask, you probably don't.
Reply to
Martin

Cut round circumference with sharp knife,cut from cut to end of cable, peel off. Be rough as u like as armour underneath is steel.Clean of any sticky residue before attaching earth strap.

Reply to
Boz

Don't.

This is the electricity boards property any damage to it you will have to pay for the repair, possibly involving replacing the length of cable under the ground. Costs for that would be in the order of =A350 to= =A3100/metre...

Also what makes you think that the *insulated* metal casing is suitable as an earth. Yes some type of instalation do use it but then there have been specific connections made in the supply to enable this. Only the electricity board will (should!) know what type of supply you have and how the main earth should be provided.

Then of course you are working on a live cable with no means of isolating it. Short circuit current of at least 6,000A, probably a lot more. This makes a very big *BANG*...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wrong, the type of service cable described is soft lead sheathed, not steel wire armoured. The OP should heed the warnings in the other two replies. Connection of the consumer's earthing to the cable sheath may only legitimately be made by the electricity supplier (network operator) and is at their discretion.

Reply to
Andy Wade

"mark al" wrote | I need to strip the mineral/rubber type insulation of the main | supply cable so i can reach the metal casing. im going to clamp | this and use this as my earth. | whats the best way of stripping this ? its very thick and i dont | want to be too rough with it. | thanks for any advice.

You need to get permission from the electricity supply company before you can use their cable armour as your earth - there may be very good technical reasons why you should *not* use it, including the possibility that the cable may be replaced by a type without an earthed metal armour in the future.

Speak to them first, they will probably (and rightly) insist that their people fit the clamp for you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For Christ's sake don't touch it. First, it is dangerous and second, there is no guarantee that it will give a decent earth.

Best bet is to report an earth fault to the local supplier who might just send someone to make sure it is ok.

The bit that you can do is fit an earth rod. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

thanks for the advice. ill see if i can get the leccy company to do it even though they have already told me its my responsibility. ill try telling them there is an earth fault and see if that illicits any help from them!

Reply to
mark al

Best to leave this to the board as they will know the best way of providing you with an earth. I myself KNOW just what an earth fault can do ! After reciveing a considerable shock today at work. The shock was off an earth lead from a board cutout that i was attempting to put back in the earth block. I know why it was taken out now ! I got knocked over and could feel the tingle in my finger for the rest of the day.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

The electricity company is right in saying that it is your responsibility to provide the earth. However, this doesn't mean you can do so by fiddling with their cables. They might offer to provide you with an earth. If not, you have to use an earth rod.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle