'magazine' glue

Anyone know if the glue used in magazines to fix extras like cover disks etc. can be purchased ?

It is a like a clear rubbery mastic which fixes well but can be peeled away easily without leaving marks or ripping the paper.

Ta, Chris

Reply to
Kris

I investigated this exact question when I was working with a previous company. It took some finding (and sorry I don't have any details of who the supplier was), but it only came in oil drum size quantities. This was 10 years ago though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Cow Gum".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Cow Gum used to be used to fix photos in albums Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Your experience of the stuff's properties is different to mine - having had a few damaged covers, I now give magazines a short burst in the microwave [1] before attempting removal of freebies. Sorry, can't help with a source, although I can assure you it isn't Cow Gum.

[1] Take the CD out of the jewel case first. ;-)
Reply to
nog

Kris presented the following explanation :

Despite the replies given by others, it looks very like hot melt glue to me. The type you get in sticks to feed into one of those cheap guns.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Cow gum has some of the properties but isn't the same.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is nothing like hotmelt glue. It's far, far more flexible and stretchy.

Reply to
Grunff

Putting "magazine cover mount glue" in Google gives this site:

maybe that's a starting point?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I've come across fixing pads (like blu tack) which have adhesive powers that can be "turned off" by pulling a tab which stretches the adhesive causing it to relinquish it's grip in the "north-south" direction and pull out easily (east-west) from within the joint.

These were made by one of the big adhesive tape/pad manufacturers, and sold by the big stationers.

Might these be of help in your application?

DG

Reply to
Derek *

Could it be this stuff?

I haven't used it, and people over at a rec.collecting.stamps looked at me askance when I asked about it there recently.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran