Mad electrical question

I never imagined my question would generate such a response :-)

I am tempted to change to a 30A block just for peace of mind, even though I am sure the method I have used is fine :-( :-( :-( In fact, I think I'll get my mate (who is a retired electrical engineer) to carry out a full risk assessment.

Reply to
Scott

obviously :)

occasional loosening is their one weakness. I trust them far more than wirenuts or sprung pushins though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you put both cables in the full length of the connector rather than folding each, a 15A connector is fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A wago box would be OK without clipping the cables as they have cable clamps.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, that's what I meant by "retained" - being brief.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

May even be better than the 30A one if there is room in the latter for the screw to separate the two wires and let them slip round the sides.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I think you are over worrying

Reply to
John Rumm

Its not always easy to judge though since it depends on the area of the screw "point". Some older fittings had quite large diameter screws that needed lots more pressure to bite into the copper and form a gas tight seal.

Don't think I have ever met a real wirenut in fixed wiring applications...

Reply to
John Rumm

I figure if you're biting into the copper it should be gas-tight.

I've seen some right horrors. Wirenuts in fixed wiring only seldom. One prize winner candidate was a factory floor full of industrial sewing machines all powered by wires strung overhead. Only just overhead, any random scrap of any old wire, joined by twisting the ends together, not even insulting tape. No earth in sight, no support for the wires anywhere other than at the ends. How the forces on the wires didn't pull the twist joints apart & bring live wires down on people's heads I don't know. Maybe the 'electrician' was a master in knots.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think you're right. Thanks.