Mad Dyson question

I've got a Dyson v8, which for the moment I am using as my main device. It is leaving 'tram tracks', on one carpet in particular. Is this just a characteristic of the v8 or does it suggest damage? (Maybe it calls into question the quality of the carpet of course.)

Reply to
Scott

Well, is it a relatively new carpet? Sometimes these can show up on those more than on the well worn and flattened ones.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On the contrary, it's a very old carpet. I wonder if that could be a factor.

Reply to
Scott

You mean a bit liked striped lawns, because the pile is brushed in one direction?

Does it disappear over time, or as the carpet is walked on?

Has the V8 always done this?

What were you previously using?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Surely the way to answer this is to look at the hoover - or dyson.

Reply to
tabbypurr

No. Two distinct lines corresponding with the edge of the motorised brush (not the two little wheels).

Yes.

I think it has but I have only started using it as my main device.

DC4.

Reply to
Scott

Is the brush height adjustable? Maybe set too low for carpet but ok for hard floors.

Reply to
Davidm

My theory is that the greater the suction power the more it will lift the pile aided by the brush roller, however at each end of the brush there will be a gap that doesnt lift the pile hence the tram lines.

Having used several types of vacuums most will leave tram lines to some degree which is also affected by the height setting of the roller brush.

Reply to
ss

ss snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:8xJlE.367404$ snipped-for-privacy@fx18.am:

It is so that your wife will see that you have done it.

I personally like the "lifted pile" effect.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Scott brought next idea :

Not a dyson, an AEG (I think) but one of our carpets does that, others do not. It is probably just the carpet which is good quality/ deeper pile. The marks soon disappear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do both the DC4 and the V8 allow you to adjust the ride height?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Foam backed? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Interestingly way back in the mists of time we had an old fashioned Hoover Junior and you could see the same effect on that from the beater in the orotating brush assembly on some carpets, but it was gone in a day or so. So maybe it is the repeated bashing. What about lifting the brush height a little? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No.

Reply to
Scott

I don't think you can adjust it on these battery powered Dysons.

Reply to
Scott

Quite correct. Does running on low power make a difference, other than possibly sucking up less dirt. ;-)

I quite like the effect, means you can see I have whipped round, and earned Brownie points.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've tried but not in order to make the battery last longer or the cleaning time longer. I have done this because it's quieter, and when I wanted to suck stuff of paper that doesn't need full power.

Does that mean you suck more or less, that is the question.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think it is resolved now. It seems to depend on the angle of travel. It must be something to do with the pile.

Reply to
Scott