Machine Shop Retirement

No idea. I wouldn't have thought that it's an auction is of any relevance. The reason given for the cooling off period is because you are unable to inspect the goods, which is as relevant for auctions as anything else.

Anyhow, I've just told a US vendor that I'm not taking up an item I bid on, on Ebay's UK site, since there is no reasonable way I can get the money to him. No reply, as yet....

Reply to
Huge

AFAIK, no. But, once again, IANAL.

Reply to
Huge

Well, you're not able to *truly* inspect a car at an auction either - you buy it on the basis of the description being correct, and only bid a price that covers the unexpected. If you've got any sense. Same with Ebay - you work from the description and pics. If there was some form of implied warranty, the whole thing wouldn't work, IMHO. The warranty is the reputation of the individual you're buying from in the form of his feedback.

I take it you don't like PayPal etc? I've found it ok so far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

We backed out of the auction for the victorian tiled floor I mentioned on here not so long back because the seller got the description and sizes horribly wrong, they also didn't say that the floor was still in place and we'd have to lift it.

Lifting it in itself wasn't the problem, but the sizes were. We'd have had to do too much filling of gaps. Fortunately the sellers realised their mistake and were understanding, so 'rah for them!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Auctions seem to be excluded - Section 5 of

Nick Finnigan

Slightly aside, (BBC News24 - clickonline) three 19 year old German students managed to run up a bill of 160 million dollars on inline auction sites ... they said they were bored.

Reply to
geoff

From my personal experience I believe that buying a car at auction doesn't give you the option to ask the seller a question prior to placing a bid.

There's a lot of negative stuff about PayPal and has been for a while (see

However if you are careful there's nothing to be concerned about.

I specifically do not allow PayPal to automatically debit my credit card when payments are due - I always do those manually.

PoP

PoP

Correct.

The day they start to be regulated like the bank they actually are, I'll consider using them.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Huge

Bagsy I get the cheap metalworking lathe, with lead screw ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Looking at my surplus heap, I have visions of a Postie trying to push an Accuratool 6D through someone's letterbox.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Colin,

It it quite normal on eBay for capital items like your auto-lathe to be 'buyer arranges collection at his cost' though if you have loading means 'can load onto your transport' is always an encouragement to buyers. Sadly they don't fetch a lot in comparison with their original cost :(

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Accuratool? Wasn't that a Dowding and Doll automatic lathe from the

70's?

PoP

PoP

In article , Dave Plowman writes

I had one of these recently with test equipment - a US company wanting to add a surcharge of $45 for handling on top of shipping charges to the UK, All their items have no reserve and of the $45, $15 is their "standard" handling charge. I'm convinced this is their way of guaranteeing a profit, and I'm very glad I checked before bidding.

Incidentally, I have bought stuff both from the Continent and the US with great success. Furthest distance so far is from Alaska.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Mine dates from 1964, but otherwise correct.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I took it out of use partly because it was virtually impossible to bring it up to the current standards for work equipment. That means I could not legally offer it for sale, except as scrap, and the scrap merchant would charge me to take it away. I'm not even legally permitted to give old equipment to staff for their own use, but a few have taken stuff home, purely, of course, for the scrap value (or possibly as workshop ornaments). The Accuratool is a bit big for them though. So far as I am concerned, anyone who wanted to collect it from West Sussex, for scrap or spares, would be welcome to have it. We would even load it, if the transport were suitable for loading with a fork truck.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Wow. I remember them so well. I worked for Dowding and Doll at Chandlers Ford for a few months during the work placement of my OND Engineering. That would have been in 1973, my first-ever job.

I most probably worked alongside some of the people who put your lathe together - when I was there the typical age would have been 50-ish and they'd been on the production line for some years.

That plugboard programmer of the turret lathe with all the relays in the cabinet still has fond memories for me!

PoP

PoP

However, Ebay is not an auction.

Reply to
Peter Parry

What is it, then?

Reply to
Huge

Exactly what it describes itself as, a trading venue where _sales_ take place using "an auction format". Nowhere does Ebay call itself an auction. If it were an auction it breaks UK auction law in a number of ways.

Reply to
Peter Parry