macerator

where can I buy a macerator unit for toilet & wash basin, something like the Sanisplit 2, at a reasonable price ?

can't find anywhere cheaper than £250 just for the macerator

thanks LJ

Reply to
in2minds

I'm sure Saniflo do a DIY version macerator for something like £199.00 + delivery, so shop about a bit more. Try Screwfix.co.uk

Or have you thought about a loo pan with a macerator already built in. There is more info' on them here:

BigWallop

of those considering their engineering parentage

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are cheap ones but you don't want one. Get the top end models as these have better blades, CAN shred toilet rolls and so on, and so don't block.

Reply to
G&M

Is it time for someone to post this classic link again? Oh I think so...

Lobster

No - you just don't want one at all.

on, and so don't

They all block. Some might do it more frequently than others but they all block. Their demented French designer put in an induction motor with the starting torque of an arthritic tortoise with emphysema. To compound matters (and to allow them to shred toilet rolls) they use a grater mechanism. Now not many people I know put a toilet roll down the pan - but the designer obviously does and considers it important that they deal with it. The trade-off is that they can't cope with anything containing cotton wool (amongst many other things).

Ask yourself - what goes down toilets more often? Complete bog rolls or things with cotton wool? Consider what items contain cotton wool as well. Consider (very carefully) what response you are likely to get from half of personkind when you suggest anything with cotton wool is carried out rather than flushed away.

These mincing devices are nothing other than an attempt by the damn French to bring us down to their execrable level of lavatorial engineering. The nation which considers the wriggly tin Pissoir to be the pinnacle of waste engineering gave us the Saniflo. No doubt they are currently working on an EU directive to make them mandatory so they can achieve by Biological Warfare what they have failed to do by any other method for centuries.

After the first breakdown and the flood of well, you know what, which comes out during repairs whenever they block you will soon start shaking whenever you hear a flushing sound. You will be counting the seconds - will it start? Will it stop? Who was using it? After the second blockage you will take to beating the door down to check the bowl contents before the handle is touched. After the third the handle will be chained in place.

I am given to understand the Samaritans have a special team dealing with Saniflos. Their most skilled workers deal with the alcoholics and drug addicts, the best of those with deal with the xphylliacs (where x is too horrible for even the name to be spoken). However of even those skilled practitioners only a chosen few, protected by daily counselling and full time psychiatric cover, are allowed to deal with the ultimate - the Sanifloistas.

These pitiful creatures are difficult to help. Evicted from their homes by families unable to cope with being thrown bodily from the loo seat so the contents can be examined every time they settle down to read a book they haunt the streets quivering with fear. At the slightest hint of a handle being pressed and a motor starting they set fire to the house - no matter who or where the occupant. Any sight or sound of rotating electrical machinery causes them to shake uncontrollably and loose control of bodily functions. Outcasts from society some find their way to Rockall where a small colony exists safe from the dreaded sequence - a flushing sound followed by a moments silence and the poignantly appropriate cry of "Oh s*/&." Don't do it - don't go this way. The end is inevitable if you do.

Reply to
Peter Parry

rolls and so on, and so don't>block.

I agree with you for every product they sell except one. The Sanibest is expensive but has a lot more power, better blades and deals with almost anything - including sanitary stuff.

I wouldn't disagree, but where is the British higher quality equivalent. If your toilet is lower than the drainage system then there really aren't many other options.

Reply to
G&M

GBP650 for a bogpump?

I note the use of the word "almost". As I said - the only difference, if any, is that gap between blockages may be greater. It's still a damn fool induction motor driving the thing. The whole idea is daft - putting a bigger motor on it doesn't make it less daft.

There isn't, nor is there a British lead flying balloon. There are some things not worth doing and pumping effluent down a 22mm tube and pretending it can be done reliably is one of them.

There is - don't put it there. Is periodic bathing in effluent an option most people would accept.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:59:26 GMT, "Lobster" strung together this:

I was gonna do that!

Reply to
Lurch

Okay - I promise to tell everybody here if it blocks.

Actually 22mm is against the UK building regs - 32mm is required.

Unfortunately not an option for many people, either due to the layout of the house or in our case an historic building where adding the usual 110mm pipe through the wall definitely wasn't going to get consent. Still have to keep the existing loo of course but I don't think it will get used much - unless your prediction comes true :-)

Also for hotels and suchlike where maintaining a 1:40 or 1:80 gradient is not possible.

Reply to
G&M

Brilliant. Peter, it's clearly time you updated your section of the FAQ....

Reply to
Lobster

Good old British Bucket?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

just FYI, this will be VERY light use and only by children age 2 to 4 years, maybe the occasional adult.

I could dig a trench to the soil pipe but that would mean digging up/replacing a concrete floor

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Ah. I thought they came equipped with fibrous additions.

The biological bits the thing is quite good at (you will find out what it did to them when it blocks - it returns them for inspection). It's a sort of a mechanical equivalent of the physiological effect of a 6 day old chicken korma with lager dilutant.

It's anything else that blocks/jams them. Wipes, Q Tips, cotton wool balls - in fact almost anything.

That really will be by far the easiest option.

Reply to
Peter Parry

They could well drop plastic toys, cotton wool, clothes and anything else that they can find into the toilet.......

Reply to
Andy Hall