LPG Combi Boiler advice.

Hi, I am in need of a new boiler. We currently have an LPG (no gas around here) combi boiler and so i am assuming it would be most cost effective to stick to that style. I cant say i have been impressed with the current one, a worcester 9.24 electric but it was 13 years old before we moved in so i can accept that may be why performance was poor. I would really appreciate some advice from experienced people. Our local and friendly plumbers who have given us good service previously only fit Alpha and reccomend a CB28. However after researching as much as i can without expert knowledge im not sure that would be suitable, not only as it has a purchase price of 684 inc vat and ive been quote 1800 for them to install one but also the lpm doesnt seem as high as think 1800 should buy. After all, no pipework has been quoted just fitting the boiler to existing pipes etc. What do you all think would be most suited to a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom (actually we dont generally use the bath but we would like to use 2 showers at the same time sometime) place. Reliability is sooooo important. The current boiler needs the ignition contact cleaned about every month ! Price is important however i would rather get a good performing reliable boiler in lpg as i think it would be cheaper than changing the whole system to oil as we would probably have to buy a lower grade boiler what with all the pipe work, tank etc.
All advice welcome !!!!!!!
Many thanks
snipped-for-privacy@evanet.plus.c o m
o m
I would get a quote to move to oil - LPG is very expensive, superseded only by electricity. Other than oil base and oil tank installation (and the space this may take up), it is still just a boiler change, other than the fuel line.
Angus
o m

Sound advice as most oil combis have a heatstore which is essential in view of the inherent delay in igniting an oil burner. This gives a far higher lpm capacity than "most" run of the mill gas combis despite the posturing of some. You also have freedom of purchase source with oil unless you choose to contract to one supplier. Don't forget to factor in flushing the old system, any potential update to the electrics and part p(iss) costs as well as the tank costs.
John wrote:

    The current 10 year forecasts within the oil industry for gas/lpg prices are not good. So I'd look at all the options.     I know that some commercial places run their boilers on old engine oil, can you run them on biodiesel( perhaps with methanol added)?
    Regards     Capitol

The capital cost of an oil boiler is high. What you save in installtion cost can pay for a lot of LPG over a number of years. Also oil takes up space, as the boilers tend to be larger.
o m <<<
- The Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Highflow 440 combi is floor mounted a will do two showers and has an LPG conversion kit. - The Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40 HE Plus combi is wall mounted and will just cope. This is changed to LPG by an electronic module.
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk /
See: http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp#AlpgC The cheapest you will get a boiler.
If the district may have natural gas in the future then go LPG as it is easy to convert back.
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:42:42 -0800, jwk wrote:

Take a look at the FAQ on Boiler Choice. It won't answer all the questions but it should knock out most of the first round ones.
snipped-for-privacy@evanet.plus.com writes

Depending on your hot water requirements and house heating load
Might I suggest you go for a relatively low kW condensing LPG boiler with a separate thermal store. The idea is to have the boiler running in condensing mode for long burn durations to heat up your thermal store. I.e. at maximum boiler and heat transfer efficiency.
Oversize store so that you can use it to run your heating via heat exchanger as well as provide secondary mains power hot water for showers and you can drain the store for baths
You can also couple in other heat sources i.e wood burning stoves etc. or even solar panel if so required
FWIW RDD