Low voltage lighting in 18th edition?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk has brought this to us :

230v spec lamps do not survive long on 240v.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends if the sellers care.

TBH I think Dennis's comment was really about a non issue. As the incandescent lamp appears be rapidly being replaced by LED some seem like a lot of modern stuff to have a wider voltage range .

I was surprised at not being able to easily find a stockist of incandescent lamps in India to compare with, the government appears to have discouraged their use fairly vigorously by subsidising other types until the sheer quantity of sales for LED dropped the unit cost.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

We went to India on holiday some 5 years ago and I was surprised not to see a single incandescent lamp while we were there. It was CFLs everywhere.

Reply to
Huge

True. It makes far more sense for every country in the world to use a different type of supply. Called taking back control. Why make things easy for the countries we import all our electrical goods from? Far better they have to be specially made for us. And they pay for that. They can pay for our wall across the channel too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If a kid is old enough to remove a BC bulb, they should be old enough to know not to stick their fingers in it.

But if you are really concerned about safety, fit an appropriate RCD. But don't expect others to have to pay extra for stupid parents.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must be one of those who think our voltage was changed by EU regs. A Mail reader?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does the 18th edition cover commercial lighting installations?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not concerned at all. Anyway, I thought an RCD only detected leakage to earth so why would touching both terminals trip an RCD?

Reply to
Scott

I've never yet seen 220/230/240v filament lamps labeled as the wrong voltage. I have however seen no shortage of people that don't understand filament lamps & mains voltage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

At about 18:00 the voltage on my energy meter quite often says ~230V. I have seen it down at 229V but not often. That's before I switch on the oven, hob or kettle.

Reply to
dennis

And mine used to be from 246 to 253. Still in spec for both the 230V and the old 240V standards.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I'm sure as a child I was told it was 250V. Was that ever true or was my granny exaggerating to scare me :-)

Reply to
Scott

Wasn't there a betting fraud case a few years ago, that worked by literally hacking the floodlight control system?

Reply to
Graham.

Has anyone tested RCDs on children? ;->

Reply to
Max Demian

I've not seen the nazi 'research' I believe the 30mA trip threshold is based on, but I expect they probably did.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Very first time I went abroad (to Portugal) in the '60s, was surprised to see just about everywhere lit by fluorescents. Presumably because the relative costs of electricity were very much higher than the UK they wanted the best bang for their buck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

appears to disagree with you.

Reply to
Scott

Then it's wrong too.

A device which detects leakage to earth is an ELCB.

An RCD looks for differential current between line and neutral. Which, of course, may be caused by a leakage to earth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought actually he was right, but that the average human who is not currently hanging from a very well insulated overhead structure tends to have quite a low impedance to earth.

Reply to
Roger Hayter