time I put the quotes in the header. I apologise for not doing so on
the migraine post.
Is there are conspiracy against low energy lamps going on? Is Npower behind
it all? What next "low energy lamps worsen VD/make you an alchoholic/will
not allow you to see in the dark?"
I think we should be told.
It amazes me it took so long to getroundtuit (and we know it's less to
do with health and more to do with culpability but I care less as long
as they do it). It's been 25 years since I've been forgoing *my*
rights and waiting for the day when I can go into any place and have
a meal or drink and not (have to be in) smoke at the same time ...
All the best ..
T i m
Is there anything wrong with your brain?
Or do you talk like you write?
These light bulbs are toxic. They can affect your brain. They contain
small amounts of mercury.
I don't know if that is native mercury or a more reactive compound.
You must dispose of them carefully as incinerators will produce toxic
fumes with them.
All that without our having the slightest idea of the damage they have
the potential for.
I think the context to be looked at more closely is the need for more
nuclear power stations after most of the last ones went off line at
almost identical dates. (Thanks Margarat.)
Couple that with massive power price hikes and you get the making of a
conspiracy. Do you trust your government?
Would they lie to you?
In article ,
Yes, about 3mg each. Another 2.5mg of mercury is produced by
the generation of electricity to power them. Conversely, about
10mg of mercury is produced to power equivalent filament lighting,
so CFL mercury production is significantly less than that for a
Also at 3mg, each CFL contains about 1/1000th of the mercury in
the average person's body (3g).
It's native mercury. Long term harm to the body comes from organic
mercury compounds rather than native mercury. The body is not good
at converting native mercury to organic compounds fortunately, but
plants (e.g. vegetables) can if it gets into their soil and taken
up by their roots.
Less than power stations do in powering filament lamps.
Fluorescent lighting has been in widespead use since WWII in this
Government is 10 years too late to start building new power
stations and maintain integrity of supply in the UK.
The problem is in part public opinion. This has stopped
replacement of the infrastructure required to maintain our
supply integrity. It will take large price hikes and/or collapses
in supply to change this. We are just starting to encounter these
now, but expect them to get very much worse as the time to fix
the problem is around 15 years, and it's not even been widely
recognosed as existing yet.
The key fact that was missed out in this report this morning was - IF THE
LAMP BREAKS. It makes me wonder who fed this story to the meja machine
why they wanted to do so. I mean the risks are real (say for a care taker
who is dealing with broken tubes and CFLs but must rank below 437th on
the list of bad things for most people.
In article ,
We have three halogen bulbs left and no other incandescent lamps. The
halogens are in three reading lamps which, as they fall apart, will get
replaced with LE units.
 Apart from inside the oven, inside the microwave and the lamp in the
sewing machine. And probably a few others I've forgotten.
What hogwash! Do you subscribe to the emotive department of some Green Group
rather than trying to be rational?
Back in my youth we would play with mercury splashing the little balls
about. A game that is rightly not available to kids today.
Incinerators are closely monitored for their emissions; approx. 30% of the
capital investment is in scrubbing the emissions so that Hg does not get
into the environment. The controls, IIRCC, are tighter than those on power
It is no longer permitted or possible to buy mercury thermometers. The use
of mercury is tightly controlled.
The quantities involved in CFLs is minute compared to former use. Facilities
are being developed to recycle CFLs and tubes (though slowly) so that they
will not have to be incinerated with their mercury content present - though
whether this is sensible is a moot point - perhaps we should catch all the
mercury through an incinerator scrubber and then recover minerals from the
Water is "toxic": I have two references available (well, will be once I've
got this new PC sorted out) about two individuals who have died from
excessive consumption of water.
Get a grip and be rational.