Loosening plastic waste water trap

Hi,

The water from my hand basin is draining really slowly. I think the waste trap is clogged with hair. the trap is white plastic and slightly "hidden" behind a tall, porcelain pedestal beneath the bowl.

I have tried to unscrew the trap using my hands but it is difficult to get an effective grip - and the trap seems jammed tight. How can I loosen the retaining nut on the water trap? The space beneath the bowl and behind the pedestal is quite tight and I can only get one hand round about one hald of the external surface of this plastic nut. Once it has moved half a turn I am sure the trap will unscrew easily.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Hi,

The water from my hand basin is draining really slowly. I think the waste trap is clogged with hair. the trap is white plastic and slightly "hidden" behind a tall, porcelain pedestal beneath the bowl.

I have tried to unscrew the trap using my hands but it is difficult to get an effective grip - and the trap seems jammed tight. How can I loosen the retaining nut on the water trap? The space beneath the bowl and behind the pedestal is quite tight and I can only get one hand round about one hald of the external surface of this plastic nut. Once it has moved half a turn I am sure the trap will unscrew easily.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Use water pump pliers or a "strap wrench" - once you've "cracked" it, it should be OK. Check the trap hasn't got a small cap at the bottom which you can unscrew more easily!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Or if you do not have a strap wrench try getting a broad screwdriver against one of the projections on the nut and tap it gently with a small hammer .make sure you are trying to turn it the right way ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Find someone with stronger hands?

Reply to
Dave Baker

What about trying to fill it with very hot but not boiling water?

Then if that works remember to flush with cold water before removing completly

Reply to
Skier

|Hi, | | The water from my hand basin is draining really slowly. I think the |waste trap is clogged with hair. the trap is white plastic and slightly |"hidden" behind a tall, porcelain pedestal beneath the bowl. | | I have tried to unscrew the trap using my hands but it is difficult |to get an effective grip - and the trap seems jammed tight. How can I |loosen the retaining nut on the water trap? The space beneath the bowl |and behind the pedestal is quite tight and I can only get one hand |round about one hald of the external surface of this plastic nut. Once |it has moved half a turn I am sure the trap will unscrew easily.

Use a strap wrench. BoaConstrictor ones with a rubber strap are commonly available. A real tool shop will sell you a better one. A strap wrench is a very useful tool and IMO should find a place in every tool box.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

If you haven't got the pipe wrench for this, an alternative can be made from a length ot leather belt and a piece of wood. There is a proper name for it but I have forgotten it, and although simple in operation, is damn difficult to describe.

The wood can be a short bit of 1"x1".

The idea is to nail/screw the belt at one end of the wood. You then wrap the belt around the nut and then hold the stick and belt end together as tightly as possible while turning the stick causing the belt to tighten around the nut, giving good grip to turn it around.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for that. I had tried to describe this to the OP but forgotten what it was called. :))

A very useful piece of kit.

Reply to
EricP

chuck some powdered caustic soda down it followed by some hot water and stand well back.

This is a lot easier than fixing the leaks you will ineviutably get when reassembling a trap in a tight place.

Usually its a matrix of hair AND soapy scums that is the problem. The soda well get rid of the scums and allow the rest to wash away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher