Looking to buy SDS dril

+1I have a 12+yo Wickes 2kg drill - 800W (- rebadged Kress) Light but effective as a drill (even up a ladder). Not particularly effective as a breaker on tarmac or concrete but good for chasing walls. Good general purpose drill but a heavier (4kg) would be better for breaking but probably too heavy to use above shoulder height.Must have features are

Roto stop (for chasing) Hammer stop (for use with a conventional chuck (+adapter) to drill in wood etc)

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

So my choice is coming down to DeWalt D25133 at £75 or Makita HR2450 at £94

On paper they seem similar spec .... anybody any resons of one over the other ...

Reply to
rick

It also says 3 in stock for delivery Tuesday - I think it means if not in stock there might be delays? I'd check if I was going to order.

Reply to
Chris French

Having used a 4kg SDS I wouldn't buy one for general use. My 2kg is much nicer/easier to use.

And how often do you want to go round breaking up concrete or whatever?

If I did, I'd either just do it manually or buy an heftier tool to use for that - or just hire more effective breaker.

Reply to
Chris French

In article , rick scribeth thus

Thats the one!, the 2450 not the 26 something, just go for it!.

You won't regret it:-)

Reply to
tony sayer

Best tool I've ever bought:-)

Makita HR 2450 something or other, its out on site at the moment, around 100 sheets and that was some 8 years ago never been a problem and drilled and cut more than i thought it ever should and still going strong!

Reply to
tony sayer

That's it in a nutshell. I have a heavy type that cost £30 or so, and has paid for itself many times over. But it's too heavy to use above waist height for any length of time, which is where the 2kg class at x3 price comes into its own

Reply to
stuart noble

Breaker is very good as a concrete vibrator. Press it against the shuttering. Amazing.

I've just bought an 800W Bosch and it's very good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Can't say, I have not used the dewalt. However I would expect it to be pretty decent as I would the blue bosh, or a hitachi.

I do have one of the 2450s though, and it has served me very well for more than 10 years[1]. Very capable, you can run it full time without a rest. Its got a very good speed controller which means you can go at it full pelt, or tap away really gently to say chip through the skim coat of plaster without creating a big mess. The chisel position can be locked off in any position (which makes chasing in a straight line or chopping out an electrical back box hole much easier). Its light enough to work with for long stretches, and does not gob grease all over the place.

[1] although I did have to replace the armature recently.

John Rumm

Just to close the loop .... I did go buy a Makita model. The one suggested has been discontinued ended up with the HR2630

Ended up spending a bit more than planned at £104, including set of drills & chisels.

Very nice it seems as well. :-)

Reply to
rick

Well if mine is anything to go by, it ought to last well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Are we saying this lot are being economical with the truth? There have been "3 left" for some time now I think

Reply to
stuart noble

when I tried to order it advised none in stock and suggested alternative the HR2610 Googling around found that had also been replaced with HR2630

Found best deal on that via Amazon from HoweTools

Thanks for your suggestions guys ... got me to buy a nice drill .. now have to buy some chisels and a keyless chuck for it so I can also use all my non SDS drills

Reply to
rick

Can't say I have ever found the "normal" chucks much use. You can't use hammer with them (and normal masonry bits would not take the punishment anyway), and there are smaller and less awkward ways of turning wood bits etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

The HR2x00 are a long enough beasts, without the longer than average normal chuck on the nose as well, I've struggled to get it in (fnaar!) in confined spaces with standard bits ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very fair point, I havn't needed to do any chasing for a long time. The extra weight definitely helps in breaking concrete paths. The other thing I have used it for is core drilling, and drilling holes through thick stone walls. So you are not waving it around much, or supporting the weight most of the time.

Reply to
newshound

The use case I had was that my cordless drill driver was in England and I and my SDS were in Germany. The drill-driver was coming over too soon to justify buying another one, so the adaptor was useful.

In general though, I agree - the resulting contraption is definitely awkward.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I found one useful once when driving very long auger bits through large timbers. The length of the drill etc was not a handicap then, and the slower rotation rate and high torque of the SDS quite well suited.

Reply to
John Rumm

And I found one very useful when I urgently needed to pump some water. A cheap drill-attachment type of pump was just about good enough but had no suitable drill to drive it. So got a chuck for the SDS. Then tied it to a plank of wood, with hosepipes, and left it running.

Not really powerful enough but it did help. Was impressed that the drill managed something like 20 hours at a stretch without difficulty or damage. Just the cheap 2kg Lidl one.

Reply to
polygonum