Looking for lightweight (breathable) foot protection

I wear sandals just about all of the time, at work, shopping, walking, working, etc. This includes the winter. I just find them more comfortable and my feet are healthy.

However there are times when I need some foot protection, e.g. using a strimmer or brush cutter, tree felling, etc. I have a pair of boots I acquired when I worked in the oil industry and usually use them but they have some disadvantages:-

They take a while to put on, need socks and laces to be done up, thus I don't always use them when I should.

They're hot, especially at the moment.

They will eventually wear out.

So I'm looking for alternatives, my main criteria are:-

Easy/quick to put on, e.g. a side zipper or maybe velcro fastening.

It would be good if they were lined so don't need socks, less hassle.

Some sort of breathable material so my feet don't get too hot.

They don't *have* to be serious protection against droppping heavy weights on my feet, i.e. steel toecaps are not necessary. That's not what happens with a strimmer or brush cutter.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
tinnews

Yanks in Vietnam discovered the need for a new sort of boot - Big cleated sole for mud, canvas sides rather than leather, with drainage holes, and an anti-spike plate in the sole. You can get these through mil-surplus or eBay. They're lighter and cooler than ammo boots, have good soles for gardening and have a reasonable level of impact resistance. You could always add zip-lacing if you wanted quicker access (a pair of zips with lace holes in, that you lace permanently onto the boots - you can convert your best combats into Damart Grannywarmers).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

wrote

Some builders type "trainers" would fit the bill. They should have steel toecaps and a steel midsole too (for spreading the load when digging). You do need steel toecaps if you use a brush cutter or even a mower of any description, "mower foot" is a well known medical condition (as they try to put it all back together!). The RHS at Wisley supply all their mower folk with such footwear and none of them have any material left on the toecaps! I use some DeWalt ones which cost about £60 but they are lace ups.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

You tried local camping/outdoor shop? Surely they have something suitable?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Crocs maybe ?

Reply to
Franko

I've recently been using these

Easy/quick to put on, e.g. a side zipper or maybe velcro fastening. Fairly easy, you only have to do up/undo the lace at the top, not all the way down.

Not too bad, better than boots in the hot weather.

No, but a strimmer could do serious damage to toes I expect.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

sounds like pull on Riggers boots but thats if you can be comfy in them probably best with socks or if you are using lighter weight cutters Dealer boots the elastic sided boots beloved by farmers about £25 at farmers auctions (Chelford) or fleabay. If you are using metal bladed cutters then ask at a Farm Shop they do sell proper heavy duty boots for the purpose better to be safe than in A&E Derek

Reply to
Derek

What "local camping/outdoor shop", I don't think there are any worth knowing about within miles (South Suffolk).

Reply to
tinnews

Riggers boots sound a possibility and they're pretty cheap so not too much to spend to find out.

Thanks for all the other ideas too.

Reply to
tinnews

I carry rigger boots in the car, mainly use them for taking the horses in and out of muddy fields. They are quite heavy and although they are cheaper on the web do try before you buy, because some have more supple leather than others (even in the shop). Farm supply shops like Countrywide stock them They soften up well if treated with lots of traditional dubbin. They pull off if you get stuck in mud, I think this is a design feature for construction sites etc if you find yourself about to be mown down by a digger. They come in fleece lined and unlined versions but the lining isn't particularly durable and you probably want thick socks (eg cotton sports socks).

Reply to
newshound

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Clogs. I bought some plastic ones from ALDI to slip on my feet when I check the garden in the morning when the grass is wet, and slip 'em off as soon as I step indoors.

Wooden ones offer better protection. When using a strimmer I always wear goggles.

Reply to
Gordon H

Thanks for the info., we have horses too but that's not what I wanted the boots for, our soil is sandy so mud just doesn't happen.

Reply to
tinnews

What, on your feet? :-) Quite agree though, I wear my safety glasses.

Reply to
tinnews