Loft insulation, no headroom

My one-storey cottage has an attic with very little head-room, not enough for a normal adult to wriggle into, although there is a trap-door entry.

There is some fibre-glass insulation; I'm not sure how it was put down, possibly when the roof was re-laid.

In any case, I am wondering about the possibility of blowing some kind of insulation into the attic. Is this an effective method? Does anyone have experience of it?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Possibly you could get someone to blow cavity wall insulation up there, but wouldn't it be messy if you wanted access?Could you push rock wool insulation in through the hatch, and poke it where it needs to go, with a pole? Send a child up there? What are your ceilings like? If they are not original ceilings that you want to preserve, and you are set on insulating the roof, could you remove the ceilings to insulate between the ceiling joists, then plasterboard and skim? Perhaps this is not the time of year for that solution ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster