Loft flooring - quick question

I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks came out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so the ends are supported. This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not to the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

With the proper T&G boards you can get away without additional support - especially if you glue the joints.

Reply to
John Rumm

OTOH if I glue the joints I can't get it up again easily - and I have had to lift quite a bit of floor to enlarge the loft access and get at some of the lighting circuits where lights have been moved.

However, assuming that you are talking about the short board packs instead of the normal living space boards which are much larger then I shall give it a go.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Oh, and the insulation Wiki doesn't have an R value for chipboard :-)

I assume it sits between softwood and timber cladding.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

If you buy the tongued and grooved flooring there is virtually no waste at all. The joints are glued (PVA) and can be anywhere.

Reply to
harry