Lock for the Loo?

I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom and want to fit a new lock on the door. At the moment we just have a small metal sliding bolt and would like to fit something a bit more stylish. Any suggestions?

Nodge

Reply to
Nodge

You'll find that manufacturers if door-lock furniture produce a 'basic' lever latch mechanism, then a 'basic' plus key lock model ... then a 'privacy' style with the 'basic' latch and (where the key goes) a knob that latches the door shut. see Screwfix items D35327 (Lever latch), D89819 (Lock) and D46134 (Privacy) [Vol 75 page 139] for an example of _one_ range of this door furniture

These privacy models may come with a round head on the outside-door side with a wide srew-driver slot to enable the door to be unlocked from the outside in emergencies (collapse of person inside ... child locks door, but can't unlock it!). I've retro-fitted privacy latches to my bathroom and toilet doors and lodged a penny coin over the doorway on the door's architrave - if there's an emergency inside .. I'm not flaffing about getting an appropriate screwdriver!) I've been deliberately vague in the description but you'll find locksmiths (and B&Q) have quite a wide range of these mechanisms in bronze, satin-stainless, shiny chrome in classic/modern/futuristic style. Manufacturers also offer discrete 'individual' locking-lever and separate privacy 'knobs'. There's a wide choice waiting for you ...

Reply to
Brian Sharrock